Chapter 7

An: Sorry for the very late update. I've a lot on my plate to deal with and I do not know how to progress this story to the end I've envisioned. So.... here's some story building I guess.

"Evacuation is at 67% sir! Elysian troopers reported heavy to moderate casualty among the civilians, but nothing critical!" Among the busy bridge, a voice rang out loudly as Dominicus nodded in satisfaction. "Keep up the good work, make sure no one is left behind." "Ave!"

Dominicus silently observed the scene before him as 20 holo screens showed several images. Guardsman and astartes alike move in unison like great worker ants as they found and rescue more and more civilians who were caught under the rubble.

Columns of civilians slowly boarded up the great universe mass conveyors as they were flanked by both guardsmen and the planet's pdf alike. Dominicus watched as the denizens of the locals eyed warily of the citizens of the imperium.

Suspicion and worry filled the new group, though much to Dominicus's relief, the denizens of the imperium welcomed the new group with open arms. Understandably, the new group was confused as they barely understood a word, though it did not stop the imperials in the slightest.

Hopefully they could integrate without any problems. It was Dominicus's wishful thinking that he failed to notice the presence of the golden soldier. "You seemed happy captain." Dominicus almost jumped as the crew on board let out an audible gasp before quickly bowing.

"Sir Hyperion! I-I didn't hear any news you would be here." Dominicus hurriedly replied as he tried to steel his nerves before the custode. "No worries. I have something that I wish to discuss with you... but a habit of mine came up." The custode explained.

"A habit you say?" Dominicus asked as he was intrigued all the while worrying before the man. "Yes. I usually partake in the blood games you see. I have a fond of... sneaking in unnoticed shall we say? Next thing I knew, here I am." "Is that so?" Dominicus tried to sound confident but there were several things that bugged his astartes mind.

What in the emperor's name is a blood game? Dominicus never voice these thoughts however as Hyperion spoke. "Anyways, I have something I wish to discuss." The custode proclaimed as everyone onboard the bridge stop to listen closely.

"Well go ahead sir Hyperion. I'm all ears." Dominicus replied as Hyperion spoke in a cold metallic voice. "Your men had betrayed the throne once." Dominicus's eyes bulged as everyone in the room felt their heart dropped. The lamenters onboard froze as they felt the custode's gaze.

Dominicus wanted to desperately shout in protest, but to do so was nothing short of an early grave for him and everyone across the bridge. Hyperion coldly stared at the captain before continuing. "In normal circumstances, we wouldn't even be here to discuss anything with you.

But our liege had specifically commanded us to guard you to safety. I wonder what my liege had seen for you and your brothers to be given a second chance." Hyperion cold whispered as Dominicus carefully whispered out an answer.

"I have nothing to say to excuse our shameful past during the badab war. But do believe us sir Hyperion, we have never once thought of betraying our emperor." "And why should I take your word captain?" "Because we are loyal!" Dominicus replied as custode snorted back.

"The 16th was also to be believed once." A hostile growl escape from the custode as Dominicus steeled his nerves. He could feel the murderous aura desperately trying to be contain within the golden armor. If he were to unleash that rage... well, there is no one within the entire fleet who could stop him.

"The favored son he was, the warmaster he was, and yet he turned his blade against his father. He trusted him with the might of the imperium and he repaid that trust by shattering his body and destroying the dream.