Chapter 16

AN:

Did I say next week? I mean now. Read 5 chapters now.

֍

            Leon slowly relaxes his aim as the golden titan stalked out. His augmented mind still screamed for caution while his body was still hot from the remaining adrenaline. Leon could feel his augmented heart still beating in trepidation until Hyperion finally disappeared into the hallways.

"You're good?" Leon let out a small nod towards August as the red spartan slowly holstered her rifle. The three were still reeling in from the pure bloodlust Hyperion let out when Dominicus approached them from the corner of their eyes.

"Are you all right?" Dominicus inquired as Leon shifted uncomfortably. "Yes sir. All is well." Leon lied as he could practically feel the scrutinizing gaze of the yellow angel. A part of Leon knew that his flimsy lie had already been seen through.

His eyes were unsteady, his grip was still hard, and his breathing had yet to be controlled. "Is that so? Then that is good." And yet Dominicus kindly turned a blind eye and said nothing more of the matter. "I sincerely apologize for this matter. We are still... new to... well everything." Dominicus said as he turned his gaze towards Alvar who was currently apologizing on their behalf.

"No worries sir. You will get used to it... I hope." Leon said as a small chuckle escaped from Dominicus. "As do I spartan... as do I." Dominicus softly replied as Leon shifted once more uncomfortably. For the short 2 weeks he had spent with the gentle giant, Leon had yet to grow accustomed to his soft and mellow nature.

He and his brothers and sisters in arms were told how to fight. How to neutralize targets in the most efficient and violent way, how to sabotage behind enemy lines, how to quietly infiltrate ships all alone, and a myriad of other things to kill and disrupt the enemy.

Dominicus... Dominicus was a walking anthesis of a soldier he had been trained to be. Leon could see the tempered biceps readying at a moment's notice, the combat knife secretly hidden underneath his armor, the constant alertness that could only be seen in veterans, and so much more. Yet his eyes told a different story.

It was soft, gentle, and even anxious. Sure, Leon and his family did care for humans, for each other, but it was always for safety. Dominicus stared as if he was a... father? He'd always helped people onboard during those weeks. Always chatting, always trying to learn more about them, about him.

Leon did not know what it was, but it was so alien to him that it scared him. Being polite was more than enough, going the extra mile was just... unnerving for him. Why care? Does he have hidden plans waiting to be enacted? Does he plan to use them? No, he was just as strong, perhaps even stronger than them by a considerable margin so why would they?

Was it perhaps they are trying to control the UNSC? But why did he have to be so kind? It could be fake, a pretense, but if it was fake he would have already seen it. Unless he was a good liar... but he was not. Hyperion might be, but Dominicus was not. But in the off chance that he was indeed good at lying, why go the extra mile talking constantly with everyone?

You only need to curry the favor of those in control, yet Leon could still remember how Dominicus mingled with the lower officers and marines. If there were children onboard, Leon even wagered he would give them bedtime stories. It can't be a lie if he was going that far... but why he was so kind? There was nothing to be gained other than to do what was necessary. So why?

Leon soon brushed off the thought as Alvar and Kaiden soon approached them. "I believe we've waited enough; can we finally proceed?" Kaiden said, a hint of annoyance stirring within his voice though Leon could not blame him. Dominicus nodded before replying. "Lead the way."