Chapter 18

AN: 

I really want to write a smug/dick type of custode without being a prick. Let's see how this goes.

֍

            The entire room was palpable with tension despite being separated light years away. Even if it was done through a video feed, everyone in the room was heightened on alert. Everyone spare from the golden titan that is. Sitting on metal containers that barely held, the titan was not perturbed in the slightest as Margaret Parangosky or 0, wracked her brain endlessly for answers.

She was no stranger to vague threats nor hidden figures that threaten mankind's safety. Everyone has an agenda, whether it be a common citizen or a scrupulous politician. It simply was human nature. The problem was that the being before her was completely enigmatic.

They have nothing on the new arrivals and certainly nothing on the being standing before them now. Though calm and collected on the outside, every member of the board was grasping for answers. Sensing the silence had to be broken, 2 spoke first.

"Greetings sir Hyperion, your presence was certainly... unexpected." 2 said in equal measure as muffled laughter escaped from the titan, causing everyone to flinch slightly. "Come on 2! Why so quiet now? You were certainly the most energetic of the board! I like it! No need to be shy!" Hyperion said as 2 quietly gulped down.

"Is it safe to assume, you've heard everything sir Hyp-" "Please please! No need for formalities, just call me Hyperion instead. I think we all can be great friends!" Hyperion waved off his hand as the board eyed 0 for guidance.

"Very well then, Hyperion. To what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?" 0 spoke calmly as Hyperion stared directly for a moment. 0 had to fight off the urge to shudder as the unblinking crimson eyes stared into her soul. "Straight to business, I knew we can be friends." Hyperion chuckled as he shifted closer ever so slightly.

"Well, I do not mean to be rude or threatening to your nation. I am simply curious who would be the people behind the shadows." Hyperion replied as 0 frowned. Despite the obvious threat he posed, his demeanor was so... relax.

His words were so calm and convincing that if it were any other person present, they would certainly have succumbed to his honeycombed words. Aina was a clear example of this as she already relaxed in his presence. The board had to actively fight off the urge to calm down as 1 replied this time.

"We are not manipulating the UEG Hyperion, we simply are an intelligence-gathering branch of the UNSC." 1 said as Hyperion suddenly let out a boisterous laugh. It was light, hearty, and inviting that it made everyone on edge.

"Come now 1, we both know that is a lie." 1's' gaze slowly hardened as Hyperion smugly stared back. "I assure you Hyperion, the Office of Naval Intelligence is only the intelligence gathering branch of the UNSC, nothing more." 1 insisted as Hyperion fall silent.

Even with his helmet blocking all expression, everyone knew, even Aina something was off. It barely lasted for a second though as Hyperion shrugged. "Well, if you are going to insist, I suppose I can't change your mind." Hyperion said emphatically.

What? Is he really giving up that fast? 0 thought in disbelief as Hyperion's companion's eyes seemed to glow brighter for a moment before dimming down. The board could not care less on Hyperion's freak company as the man loomed over dangerously.

No, don't be fooled Margaret! This man cannot be trusted! Anyone can have motives, don't be fooled. Find it out before he finds out about you firs- "By the way, does Hannah still uses your old hairbrush?" The air grew terrifyingly cold as 1's pupils trembled.