Chapter 4

"You goddamn bastards!" One of the marines howled in fury and desperation as he threw one of the last precious napalm grenades at the hateful covenant. Several grunts were burned as the covenant was delayed by the fire but nothing substantial to stop their determined assault.

Commander Ivan gritted his teeth in frustration but also in desperation as he glared at the screen. He commanded what remained of the pitiful marines to stand before the tide of the covenant in a last desperate struggle.

Behind them were countless refugees and civilians. His men and women could not fall no matter the cost as tens of thousands were at risk. But as each second passed by, Ivan despaired more and more as his marines dwindled and the covenant continues to grow.

Grunts, jackals, and skirmishers pounded their fortifications relentlessly. It had been days since Ivan had a single minute to rest. Days since he had eaten a proper meal. He was so tired, so hungry, so desperate for help that he even delusion one.

Ivan thought a relief fleet had come to their aid when a massive slip space appeared from the edge of the Salfar system. He should have known it was his own delusional mind playing games on him when a reply came.

He did not even identify the damn thing's origins as he was so sleep-deprived to give a second thought. "T-they have breached the last defensive line! Commander Ivan! The civilians please- ARGH!" Ivan heard the last defender outside dies as he gripped the edge of his table hard.

"W-what do we do sir?" One of the marines inside whispers in fear as Ivan straightened his back. He turned to see the last defenders he had in hand. There were 50 green marines. Fresh from boot camp. Ivan remembered ordering the youngest to the back as he hoped to save them.

Now, only they remained. They were literally and figuratively the only ones to stand before the civilians would ultimately be butchered. Ivan wanted to scream, that they were doomed, and everything was hopeless. Humanity was hopeless and will be driven to extinction.

But Ivan did not. He will not allow himself the luxury of despair as he was their commander. Their leader. It was his responsibility to lead these men to war and die before any of them would. He would die defending humanity, hopeless as it was.

He simply raised his back and glared at the final door. Where the covies will be coming. Even now, he could hear their hateful sound beyond the door as the civilians despaired. "We will fight marine. To the last man, we will fight." Ivan said with venom in his voice as deep inside he trembled.

He was terrified of death. No one wanted to die so soon. Ivan however could not show that face. Not now. Maybe later, but not now. Ivan grabbed the nearest rifle as he led the remaining marines. The door was being force to open by plasma cutters as the air reeks of ozone.

Cries of the children and the wails of the adults were rich in the air, but Ivan stood at the forefront of the door as he glared detestably at the light heralding their doom. "The bastards are at our gates! We will make them pay tenfold for each of our own! Make them bleed men, this is our finest hour!"

Ivan roared as what remained of the marines shouted in a desperate battle cry. ...I wish I could see your face. I wish could hear your voice... one last time. Ivan thought as the door buckled. He prepared to open fire as soon as the doors fails when the drilling suddenly stopped.

Confused, the tense air swallowed everyone as they waited for their demise... except it never came. "What the hell?" Ivan cursed as he soon hears the bastards screaming in terror. "R-reinforcements?" The sound the word make made everyone shiver in hope.

"S-Spartans? It has to be spartans right??" One of the marines called out, hopeful even in such dire times. But just to be sure, Ivan hurriedly looked back at his monitor, trying to confirm if it really was a spartan who had come to save them.