Chapter 14

An:  4k chapter baby!! WOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOO!!! Took me just 3 days to write it after I was done updating my main novel so that was fast! Anyways I hope you enjoy!

֍        

            Kaiden led the group with a hurried but controlled pace. There were 47 in his entourage, 40 consisting of marines, odsts, officers like Miranda and Liam, and finally, 3 spartan 2's. It was a compliment that one could only see in desperate sorties.

One where everyone made peace with death as they were preparing the ultimate sacrifice. This was not one of those times. All 40 were guarding 7 precious diplomats that could very well turn the tide in its entirety though guarding was a term Kaiden did not want to say.

It was in fact the opposite, these 7 were guarding them instead. Kaiden could still recall the three 'normals' he had met in those brief moments in time. One was a general, ever evident in their detestable green uniform. Kaiden could not understand why, but he could already sense rivalry from the man alone.

The other one, thankfully, was an admiral just like him. Wearing a navy blue instead of the detestable green, Kaiden felt more kinship to the woman than to the man, and somehow, the feeling was somewhat reciprocal as the female admiral had a more relaxed posture than the man.

Though that is not to say she had forgotten the near death on one of their warships, she was still somewhat more approachable than the man. And finally, there was the girl. Kaiden did not know why, but the young lady simply unnerves him.

Not intentional of course, but it was more... instinctive. As if his senses were screaming to be careful especially towards the girl. Kaiden quickly brushed off the thought as he continued moving at a controlled pace as the footfalls of the remaining 4 reminded him to be careful.

His nerves were getting old and weary as the years went on and the war rages, yet at this moment, Kaiden could not help but feel alive. Even his hip did not act out as it usually does. There were so many questions he had been dying to ask.

So many childlike wonders that had been snuffed out so early the moment the war of extermination began. Gone were the curiosity and intrigue of the old days amongst the stars. Now it was best to fear them, hate them even than letting its monsters harm them again.

But now? Now was... different. Kaiden could feel his aging bones rattle in anticipation and excitement. The heavy footfalls of the giants behind him were like spartans but different. If spartans were the banner that called out the unyielding spirit of humanity, they were like hammers.

Weapons of war forged specifically to destroy the enemies of mankind. Unlike the sleek and faceless mask of the spartans, these giants bear the emblem of wrath. Glowing crimson eyes perpetually staring into the darkness as if challenging the abyss itself. Never blinking, never faltering.

"S-spartans? Is that their new gear?" Kaiden could hear some of the marines and staff whispering in awe and trepidation. Some were pointing directly behind him; others were curiously taking a sneak peek. Kaiden could see the exact moment they realized something was off.

"No wait those are... woah..." Kaiden could not help but smile slightly inside whenever he saw their response. He could still see it in their eyes freezing for a moment in fear before it changes and twisted into morbid curiosity.

"These guys are beefy." "Yeah, these guys are huge. I wonder how they-... holy shit." Now Kaiden really could not help but smile when their eyes landed on Hyperion. "I-is that supposed to be a super spartan?" "Super spartan?? Are you hearing yourself right now?"

"Then what else would you call him?!" "T-that's... I don't know." The marines had an almost child-like wonder in their eyes when Hyperion walked past them. If spartans and these giants were huge, then the walking golden statue was entirely titanic.