Chapter 1

"Report." Dominicus whispered as a fellow lamenter walked beside him. "The news is currently being contained, though we are not sure for how long. As for the navigators and psykers... well..." "Speak brother, no need to hold it in." The lamenter sighed before speaking.

"Their mental state had degraded drastically. They weep, they scream, and then went silent for hours before doing it all over again. All the while... all the while lamenting a single cry. 'The emperor forsaken us.'" Dominicus grunted but it was to be expected.

The sheer weight of the news was enough to break any mortal mind, especially those who had a connection to the emperor the longest. "...Brother do you maybe think that-" "No." Dominicus swiftly cut off before he could finish his words.

He could feel the ripe uncertainty and dread within the lamenter's voice. Dominicus could not afford to be weak right now and had to reassure everyone, even if he himself doubts it. "The emperor could not have forsaken us brother. After the damnation we went through? It is impossible to live through that without his grace.

"Perhaps the navigators and psykers were overwhelmed from yesterday's journey but it's impossible for He on terra to abandon us. We are his loyal angels and have saved his people from the wretched claws of the heretics. I don't know what is, but He did not abandon us." Dominicus spoke the words with poise as they stand before the hangar bay.

The fleet needed to be reorganized and planned for the next journey. The devastating news had left most of the commanding officer confused and lost. Dominicus had to rein in order and discipline before the masses devolved into panic and chaos.

Several thunderhawks were already escorting the commanders from every branch inside. Dominicus gave them a brief nod but waited still as the imperial fist was of great importance. They were after all the only ones who had come to their aid. It is only right to greet them with respect. When a thunderhawk with the marking of the fist finally appeared, Dominicus straightened his back.

He had to present confidence and poise before the representative of the chapter who had saved them. At the same time, he was excited to finally meet the founding chapter who stand side by side with his during the siege of terra. When the thunderhawk finally landed and opened its hatch, Dominicus then froze as four figures marched out.

Three of them were imperial fist, with one Dominicus presumed as the company captain as he was flanked by two other fist. Their reputation served them well as Dominicus could feel the centuries of experience excluding from them.

Though, it was not what caught Dominicus to freeze despite their noble air. Nor was it the history of their old and ancient chapter, but rather the 4th man that stood beside the company captain. A massive 9ft man encased in molten gold strode forth with the captain.

The man easily dwarfed even that of the space marines as he carried a massive spear that was even taller than him. Pure as silver themselves, his robe fluttered behind the man as Dominicus instantly knew immediately the moment his eyes landed on the man. "Custodes..." Dominicus whispered in awe and fear as even he only heard accounts of their deeds.

Dominicus felt a tremor running through his veins as he quickly supressed the urge to shake. The custode before him wore white robes. White! It was the Emissaries Imperatus, the heralds of the golden throne themselves. One of the few selected people who had heard, perhaps even converse with the master of mankind themselves.

The custode stopped before Dominicus before nodding slightly in response. Dominicus break free from his awestricken gaze when the captain of the imperial fist called his name. "Chapter master Malakim Phoros I presumed?" The fist asked as Dominicus hurriedly responded.