Chapter 6

A growing silence envelops the group as the sound of boots striking the earth could only be heard. Jacob was tense, even more so than ever as the two angels move in utter silence. One leading the vanguard while the other bringing up the rear.

Jacob wanted to thaw the silence that had frozen over, though it did not help by the nature of the leading angel. Whenever there was movement, his muscles immediately reacted faster than he could ever blink.

This caught him and the civilian more than once in a panic as the angel seemingly reacted instantly before resuming back to their normal pace. "Brother Keros please calm down, you are frightening the little ones." The rear angel whispered kindly despite the metallic voice.

The leading angel snapped back for a moment as the group froze. "Hiee!" one of the children yelped back in surprise as the angel look down at the child. The crowd hinges away from the angel as the Trans human dread remained in their psyche. "See?" the angel spoke again as the other replied.

"There could be a xeno out there. I am not letting my guard down again." Keros respond roughly before resuming to his natural pace. "But they are-" "I am not taking any chances." A sigh could be heard from the rear angel as he whispered softly.

"Please forgive my companion. He might look paranoid, but I can assure you his prowess and skills are no lesser than mine." The angel whispered as Jacob stiffly nodded back in response. "I-is there a reason why he is so... jumpy?" Jacob whispered as the marine suddenly aimed his weapon to its right before walking once more.

"Aye, though it is a tale that I do not wish to recall." The marine sadly whispered as Jacob hurriedly nodded his head. "I-I understand..." "...Though, I suppose I could tell you mine instead." Jacob turned immediately as the undying curiosity got the best of him.

The same could be said for the civilians as they turned back to listen. "I was born in the world known as Kydien Secundus. The planet was a minor agri world, we ship off mostly grain-like plants known as T'vashk. It was far easier to make and takes little to grow than wheat, though the taste was as bland as I could remember." The marine chuckled as Jacob eyed him in wonder.

"I was a son of a farmer. Tilling the lands with my pa and ma. Even having a girl I liked. It was a short, but blissful life." Jacob could not see the man's face thanks to his helmet, but he could sense the bitter joy as the marine slowly trailed off.

"What happened? How come you become a, erm" "Astarte." "An Astarte right! S-so why did you become one if you enjoyed your previous life?" Jacob asked as he could not understand why he would throw such a jovial life, a life he desperately seeks to reclaim in fighting this war.

"...It's because I can't." Jacob felt his heart drop as the marine stared off in the distance. "...My world was stolen from me." Jacob sealed his mouth tight as he swore he could hear the sound of grief in the angel's voice.

"A xeno by the name of orks had razed my home to the ground. As I flee from my burning world, I swore to hunt down every last one of their hateful kind. And so, I became an astarte. No other worlds shall suffer the same fate as mine did so long as I live."

Jacob could not meet the angel's gaze as he suddenly feels sorry for the giant. He wanted to say something, to ease the man's burden, but what? Jacob never found these words as the static radio soon echoed from the group. It was faint, but they could understand it.

"This is captain Dominicus of the lamenter's chapter. Due to several strategic and tactical circumstances, the planet shall be evacuated before a retaliation fleet could be mustered. I implore to all citizens to gather all your personal belongings and begin evacuation. The mass transport ships, will be arriving soon."