Chapter 29

May, 2 days before the decision.

Alright! It's decided then! I'll go a surprise visit to dad's place. Was what Xavier thought as he stood in front of the mansion. Though.. I need Annalissa to help me. Ugh. It's still awkward for me to even be here..

He just opened the door since almost everyone knows of him now. Without hesitation, or in his case any second for second thoughts, he heading to the living room only to see Annalissa walking down the stairs half dressed... woah. Strap top and denim shorts? Xavier could feel himself blush at her not so usual attire.

"Uh... hi?" He cursed himself for being so awkward silently as he just nodded and walked with him to the dining room, where everyone was expectedly hounding down their food.

"What business do you have here?" She asked, though behind her usual emotionless facade was the weird rapid beating of her heart. She frowned at the feeling, what is wrong with me? She thought.

"Uh.. I need your help.." he said shyly, a hand behind his neck awkwardly. Annalissa only raised her eyebrow in question, "I need a ride to my dad's place."

"I assume you wish to find out what Zachary meant right?" Annalissa said, turning away from him. "Yeah."

"Very well. " she said and left him to make preparations. In truth she knew he would try and find out the truth she knew. Well better to face it himself than telling him lies. Also, she had an errand to run there.

Xavier was standing there looking shocked at her retreating figure. Okay? She really said OK? He panicked, was there something wrong with her lately? Then a thought came to him, she knows something, but what?

Oh well, he was getting a free ride? Who could complain?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out of state, Michael's place.

Knock, knock. Xavier was standing in front of the house Annalissa found. It was strange that the address his father gave him was wrong, Alec stayed back with Sheila so if anything went wrong, Alec and his family would be together. He had a bad feeling to this. Annalissa was standing beside him impassive as ever.

Oh yeah, she just wore an black knee-length overcoat over her top and shorts, which ironically revealed her stomach and legs where she usually wore outfits that covered herself. When he asked why she wore that way, she answered with a shrug, "I see no reason to bother changing."

For fuck sake!

"Coming!" A female voice called out making Xavier stiffened immediately. Why is a female voice in dad's house? No, it can't be-! The door opened revealing a middle aged woman in a robe. Xavier felt a lurch in his throat as his father's voice rang out as well. "Who is it Sam?" His father stepped out in equal dressing making Xavier crunch his teeth. Annalissa, seeing his behavior finally spoke.

"Michael, It's nice to see you again." Xavier saw his father -no, Michael- eyes widened at them as he stuttered. Xavier knew his father was acting weird a few years ago since he became a teen but to this. "Father." He finally said in a steel tone.

"Who is this Micheal?" The woman, Sam, asked looking curiously between the two. "Sam-" Michael tried to speak but was cut off by Xavier. "I'm his son." Sam seeing the awkwardness in the room hurriedly left the room and put on her clothes.. You guys would know what happened between them. Annalissa just stood aside watching the two.

"How could you father? " Xavier had hissed the word out in anger. Annalissa didn't know why but she put a hand on his arm making Xavier calm down slightly. "I can explain Xavier."

Annalissa lean up to his ear and whispered, "I'm going to find the woman's side of the story." The she left, walking past Michael, ignoring him.

"I just wasn't happy anymore you know? Elise, she's great and all but I wasn't in love with her anymore. You have to understand Xav-"

"Shut up!!" Xavier shouted, cutting him off. "Understand?! I know how this work Michael. If you didn't love mum anymore then it would be better to divorce her first then have your girlfriend! You're lucky that I was the one here today and not her!"

Michael stood quiet at his outburst. Xavier took calming breaths before asking. "Are you working with Zachary, Michael? Huh?" Michael was silent, a silence that confirmed Xavier's suspicion. "You're dead to me. You hear me?! Tell mum the truth then never come home again! "

Just as he finished shouting, Sam came back in and slapped Michael in the face. Both of them was shocked by the woman. Annalissa walked in the room just then. "I was right Michael, you were Zachary's spy.' Just then she threw files on of the floor. "You told me your wife was dead!" The woman screamed, shame and fury painted her red face. She turned to Xavier with a bow, "I'm sorry. I didn't knew he had a son, a family even. If I did, I wouldn't even think about this. I'm sorry." Xavier didn't know she was sincere or not until Annalissa's voice rang out.

"She's telling the truth Xavier. She had no idea you existed at all. It seems he kept everything away from her about you guys. And Michael?" Annalissa turned towards him. "If your wife's dead for 10 years how is it you have a 9 year old daughter right now?"

"Then I'm sorry too Sam.." Xavier said towards the woman, ignoring Michael's glare towards Annalissa. The woman smiled at him before saying, "If we met in different circumstances Xavier, I hope we could be friends. You're a nice boy." Then she left, her things were already packed with her, without looking back once.

"I mean it, father. Tell mum the truth and never come back." Then he turned and left, Annalissa had picked up the files she threw and left with a final say, "Zachary said hi" leaving Michael in his home lost of everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annalissa and Xavier was in the local park, sitting side by side as Xavier had his head in his hands. "You knew didn't you?" He said, lifting his head up to looking at her.

"I knew it for awhile since I went to get Alejandro's thing." She said, looking up at the sky while they were under the shades.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She looked back at sad emerald eyes making her heart skip a beat, though she didn't let it show.

"As I told Alec, what man hates most is pity and betrayal, you have experienced both, Xavier. This is a trial to see if you'll come out stronger or fall in despair. Tell me the answer for both of the questions I ask of Xavier, within the two days before the decision." She stood up, turning around to face him, their eyes locked before she gave him a tentative smile.

Xavier felt entranced by that small show of emotion but when he looked into his eyes he could see her emotions for the first time clearly.

Support, curiosity and... affection?

Huh??

Before he could ask, she had already left back to the hotel they were staying. Okay... now, what to do now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annalissa lay on her bed looking up at the ceiling with her hands on her stomach. Why did I smile at him? she frowned placing a hand on her heart, My hearts is beating fast when I think of him. It's.. strange Well, since she still couldn't figure out she could always go with MIlliana's advice. Even if she and Maria were already at Paris.

Go jump the gun and see if he's really the one who has your heart!

She frowned even deeper. She wasn't a run and gun type but if she had to she'll do it. And next is about Zachary's proposal. She gotten reports that he was the cause in her company's incident last. Among many others

Maybe she should accept..

She huffed and tuned to her side, a thought suddenly came to her.

Was she in love?