buying medicines (40)

I got the week off from work and despite all the things going on, time flew by. Mom goes back home today, for which I am happy because I've grown tired of the whitewashed walls and the sirens of ambulances.

Ella is helping her get ready and I'm taking care of the paperwork. I paid for the whole month, so I'll be getting some it back. The man gets me to sign some papers and then makes the refund.

I shove the envelop into my pocket, saying. "Thank you."

I leave the office to find mom and Ella waiting for me near the exit. Ella drives us home and drops us off. I get mom comfortable in bed before getting changed myself.

I check my phone for any messages or phone calls but there are none. Hardly anyone knows that I have a phone.

After taking a quick shower and changing, I pick up my jeans when mom's medicine prescription falls out.

I smack my forehead because I completely forgot to buy them. I go to mom's room and poke in my head. She has her eyes closed.

"Mom?" I ask, softly.

She opens her eyes and looks at me.

"I'm going out to get your medicines. The phone's right next to you. I'll be back in a few minutes." She nods and closes her eyes.

I get my bag and the moment I open the front door, I walk into someone.

William.

"Hey! What's the rush?" He asks.

I step back and reply. "Sorry. I'm just really worked up."

"It shows." He says and I know that he's right.

"Anyways, what are you doing here?" I ask him.

"How's your mom?" He asks, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Better." Is all I say before I walk past him and towards the sidewalk.

"Where are you going?" He calls after me.

"I have to get mom's medicines. Thank you for stopping by." With this I turn on my heel and start walking.

The reason I did that was because of the last conversation we had. Where he said that he couldn't live without me. It keeps playing over and over again in my mind.

I walk down the street and to the pharmacy from where I brought mom's medicines before I got the job as a housemaid.

When I open the door a little bell sounds in the shop and the attendant appears.

"Hello. How can I help you?" He asks.

I hand over the paper and wait while her searches for them.

"Hi!" A voice says in my ear. I give a little scream and spin around.

"William! Why did you do that?!" I exclaim punching him on the arm.

"You look cute when you're scared." This makes me blush.

I huff and turn back to the attendant who's standing frozen and staring at William as if he's a ghost.

"Hey!" I wave my hand back and forth in front of his face which makes him snap back to attention.

"Your...Your majesty." He says, curtseying. I roll my eyes at this and push the medicines across the counter, towards the till machine.

I take out my wallet when I hear him say. "It's an honor to have you in my shop."

"No. The pleasure's all mine." William's tone is all prince like.

I groan and say. "Can I just pay and leave. You two can chat after  I leave."

"Please." William says gesturing towards me.

The attendant at once rushes over and starts typing things onto the computer. Once he's done, I pick up the bag and exit the shop.

Not a  minute later the bell sounds again.

"Now what?" I ask turning around.

"I'll walk you home." William says.

"You'll walk me home? What about your car?" I ask him.

"I left my car at your house which gives me another reason to walk with you." He says.

"You walked here on foot?" I ask surprised.

"Yeah. Why the surprised look?"

I scoff and say. "FYI you're the prince. You don't follow housemaids."

He starts walking and then turns around. "In case you've forgotten you're my assistant not a housemaid."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?!" I exclaim through gritted teeth.

He smiles as I start to walk and he falls into step next to me. We walk in silence for a few steps and then he says.

"Your mom's waking up calls for a celebration."

"What?!" I scream and stop walking.

He does too and raises his hands. "I'm just saying. I'm hosting this get together at the office and well I thought that you would find this a good enough reason to go with me."

By now we've reached my house's front door.

I turn around and say. "You should've just said so."

"Is that a yes or a no?" He asks, confused.

"You look cute when you're confused." I comment.

He smiles and asks. "So?"

"Yes. I'll go." I reply.