happy birthday Cassy! (51)

I put on my uniform and pull my hair back into a ponytail. I'm eager to get to work, not because I need the money. But because I want to see William again.

Last night was the best night of my existence.

I find mom in the kitchen talking on the phone. I bustle around making my breakfast.

When she puts down the receiver I ask. "Who was it?"

"Ella." She replies taking a bite of her omelet.

"She's going to be here in a couple of hours. What's the emergency?" I ask, taking a sip of  my coffee.

"I asked her to stay home."

"WHAT?!" I scream.

She sighs, setting down her fork. "Calm down. She has her own family to look after."

"But what about you?"

"I'll be fine. I'm not a child. For God's sake, I'm a fully grown woman. I can take care of myself." She tells me.

"But what if you need someone?" I ask her.

"I'll be careful about what I do. I'll just take a nice long nap in my room." She starts eating again.

"You need to take your medication on time." I remind her.

"I will. Just go to work, it's your big day!" She exclaims.

"What?" I don't know where this is headed.

"Seriously Cassandra?"

"I'm speaking the truth! I have no idea." I tell her.

"It's your birthday!" She screams pulling me into a hug.

I had completely forgotten.

"Yeah. Right." I know I sound stupid.

"Happy birthday!" She tightens her arms around me and I hug her back.

"Thanks." I say as I pull back and gather my things for work. I start towards the door, shouting instructions the whole time.

"You have to take your medicines."

"Ok."

"Don't forget to check your blood pressure."

"I won't."

"Do not go near the washing machine."

"I don't have a reason to."

"You have to take a long nap."

"I will."

"Don't forget to take your medicines."

"I WON'T! NOW GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" She marches up to me and taking hold of my arm, shoves me out. After slamming the door shut I hear a muffled shout. "NOW GET GOING!"

I sigh and hitch my bag's strap up onto my shoulder. I start towards the bus stop. I stand there waiting for my bus, when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see who it is.

"Anna!" I exclaim.

"Hey!" She hugs me.

"Oh! I completely forgot. Happy birthday." She pulls out a box from her bag and hands it to me.

"Anna! You shouldn't have." I protest.

"I'm not taking no as an answer!" She shoves the box into my hand, waiting for me to open it.

I take off the lid to find a dress. "Wow! Thank you so much." I give her a hug to show my gratitude.

"It's nothing. I mean it's nothing compared to those Forever 21 shoes you got Sophie." She sighs.