what's inside? (11)

I take a shower before going back to sleep.

My bed bearing the weight of another body jolts me awake. I peak over my shoulder to find my two year old nephew sitting next to me.

"Hey." I say but a pain in my throat stops me from saying anything else.

I get out of bed and get myself a glass of water. After gulping it all down, I go to the living room where my mom and sister are. She gets up when I come in.

"Hi Cassy! How are you?" She asks me pulling me into a hug.

"Just a little fever and a sore throat." I tell her, pulling away.

"I'm sorry if Leo woke you up."

"No, that's alright. I should've gotten up hours ago."

"Mom was just telling me that you got a job at the palace."

"Yes I did but nothing more than the position of a housemaid."

She turns towards mom and they start talking about I-don't-know-what. After a couple of minutes Leo comes in and climbs onto the couch next to me. My sister's only two years older than me and looking at her it's kind of hard to believe that she has a son.

I look at the clock. It's almost five.

I'm talking to him when the doorbell rings. Mom starts to get up but I beat her to it saying "I'll get it."

I slowly walk to the door and pull it open.

There's a man. In a uniform. Plus, the uniform looks sort of familiar.

"Uh...Can I help you?" I ask him crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm looking for Cassandra Ryes." He says, surprising me.

"That's me." I tell him.

"Here." He says, holding out a brown paper bag.

"What is it?" I ask him confused.

"I don't know. I was just asked to deliver it." With this he turns on his heel and drives off.

I stare at the bag in my hand, trying to decide whether to take in or just throw it away. For all I know it could be a bomb or even diamonds. I go back in closing the door behind me.

"Who was it?" Mom asks me from the kitchen where she's started making dinner with Ella's help. Leo's perched on a dining table chair, busy scribbling on a piece of paper with a pencil.

"Wrong address." I tell her, hiding the bag behind me.

They all go back to working and talking. I sigh thankfully and go to my room. After locking the door behind me I flop down onto the bed and put the bag in front of me. For several minutes I try to decide what to do with it. Finally my curiosity takes over and I rip it open.

Two strips of tablets and a piece of folded paper falls into my lap. I pick up the paper and unfold it. What's written on it makes my breath catch.

Dear Cassandra,

I wanted to help you out in some way, since I knew that you were sick.

Please forgive me if the medicine reached you later than it should have.

Hope you get well soon!

Yours,

William.