in safe hands (43)

Slowly, I open my eyes to find my head tilted at a strange angle. I slowly straighten my neck only to find my hands tied behind my back.

I look around at my surroundings.

I doesn't really look like a room. There are no windows and a huge metal door is facing me. The place is huge. There are so many lights lining the ceiling. They're uncountable.

The metal door starts opening. Through the small gap I can see that it's still night.

Simon, Mason and Thalia step in and the door closes.

"It's good to see that you're awake." She says, as she looks at me with her arms crossed.

"What time is it?" I ask them.

Mason is the one to reply. "8:00"

8? But I reached the office at nine. How...?

"I know what you're thinking. You've been out cold for a whole day." He tells me.

"But didn't anyone notice that I was missing?" I ask.

"They did. They noticed that the same night. Though, not on their own." She replies.

I blink at her in surprise. "What do you mean?"

She holds up a black object and a little gasp escapes me. It's my phone!

"We sent William a short message, saying that if he didn't get us the papers within 24 hours, he can say good bye to you." After a pause she adds. "And by the way, only two hours are left."

I suck in air and stare at them in disbelief.

"The king trusted you two." I say to Mason and Thalia. Then to Simon, I say. "I can't believe you betrayed my sister."

"Your sister married my brother, not me." He tells me.

"But what's to stop him from following the path you have?" I ask.

He smirks and then says. "Let's just say that, from my family, I'm the only one who is interested in the crown."

I gap at him. "You...You betrayed your family?"

He laughs. "Yes. I betrayed my family. And these two," he points at the others, "they betrayed an entire country."

"And I can see that you all are proud of what you did." I mutter to myself.

At that very moment the phone...my phone in Thalia's hand starts to ring. She checks the caller ID and then turns the screen towards me.

I gulp.

William.

She puts the phone on loud speaker and asks. "Well, my dear. Have you decided Cassy's fate yet?" 

What he says makes my heart ache. "I'm at the place you asked me to come. Don't hurt her. I have the papers. If she's hurt in anyway, you can kiss the papers good bye."

"Oh. Don't worry. She's in prime condition." With this she ends the call and walks towards me.

She stops behind me and leans down to whisper in my ear. "I'm going to untie you. Don't even think about running. You're outnumbered and William won't be happy if we put a bullet through you."

I nod as she opens the rope and I pull away my hands, rubbing them. It stings in the place where the ropes cut in.

She shoves me to my feet and marches me to the door and out. The fresh air feels like the best thing I ever felt my entire life.

There's a jeep waiting outside. They put me in my back seat with Thalia while Mason gets into the passenger seat and Simon starts driving.

I lean my head back against the seat and feel tears threatening to spill out.

I squeeze my eyes shut and when I open them again, the car's stopping in a huge field which has nothing except dirt. No vegetation. Nothing.

The two guys get out. Due to the black windows, I can't make out what's going on outside. A tap sounds on my side of the door which makes me jump. But apparently it was meant for Thalia, because she says. "Don't move." With this she leaves me alone in car.

They wouldn't hurt Will, would they?

After what seems like forever, my door's thrown open and Mason barks ."Get out."

The first thing that my eyes register is the black file in his hand. The next moment my eyes meet William's which are full of concern and worry.

"See you two later." He says as they all hop in and drive away.

"Thank God, you're alright." William says, as he holds me in his arms.

After a few minutes we pull away and he says. "Let's get you out of here."

I get hold of his arm and stop him from turning away. "But you...you gave them the papers. You should've just left me."

"I couldn't. Besides that it's already been taken care of, so you don't have to worry about it." He gently touches my cheek.

He opens my door for me and then closes it before going to his side and getting in. We drive in silence and soon reach the highway.

After some time, I can't hold it back anymore. "You'll loose your title, William."

He sighs. "I told you not to worry about it. I'm not going to loose it."

I frown at this. "Yes. Yes, you are. You gave them the papers they needed."

"I gave them papers. Yes.  But they're not the actual papers. I got the lawyer to tweak them a bit. The changes are really minor. They won't notice them since none of them is a lawyer." He takes a break and then finishes. "When they show up with the papers. Not only will the papers be wrong but I'll get them arrested. So that they're no longer a danger to you."

I lean my head against the seat and close my eyes. After a few minutes I reopen them to find William looking at me. He looks away at once.

"What?" I ask him.

He brings the car to a halt and then turns to me. "You didn't deserve all that you've been through."

"Everyone has to face the hardships of life, at some point in life." I say.

I realize that we're really close to each other. It's as if he reads my mind. Before I can register what's going on, he closes the gap and touches his lips to mine. The kiss is full of hunger and passion.

When we pull away, we're both breathing heavily.

"Promise me, that you'll never leave me." He says.

I nod and say. "I promise."

I hope that this chapter didn't feel rushed because that was not what I was going for.

Anyways, the story has gained a lot of reads/votes, over the last two weeks and I love you all for that :)

~