Chapter 15

'We couldn't find her. I think she may have known we were coming'.

Marcus checked the chamber of his gun, 'boody woman is getting on my nerves', he mumbled as he shoved the gun in his holster not long after.
You feel John's grip tighten to grab your attention, 'are you okay?' He's already asked you multiple times but you didn't care. You were happy that he was concerned for you, it was nice... If only there was more.

'We have a few others with us that we'll interrogate John, hopefully, we'll get something out of them'.

Marcus adds as he taps the side of the van and you watch it drive off with the rest of Lady Jane's henchmen.

'I'll catch you back at The Continental'.

John doesn't say anything but only nods before pulling you towards his car, 'Jesus, I didn't know it was them. He had a gun and all and-'.

'Shh, calm down, I'm not angry at you'.

His voice is gentle and you bathe in its glow but only for a few moments. The stress was too much for you and you find yourself growing rather tired, 'get some sleep in the car', John mumbled as he helped you into the passenger seat.
That was the last thing you remember.

The sound of voices had woken you up and you looked over to see John and another man talking. The man was shorter with grey jawlength hair and smooth but wrinkly skin.
You listen in carefully as the men talk.

'She can't be protected forever John, she's not really part of this'.

'Winston, they think she's my partner'.

The man hummed, 'I guess she can't go anywhere, now that she's aware of this area', your heart is racing when he says that.

So what? Is he going to kill me? Is John going to let him kill me!?

You sit up quickly and both men jump from the sudden movement.

'(Y/N), I'm sorry if we woke you'.

The man said with a smile, 'my name is Winston, and I'm the owner of The Continental', he didn't move from his spot, 'John was giving me an update on the situation you and him are in'.

'Oh, okay'.

You weren't buying his performance and John seemed to notice.

'(Y/N), he's not going to do anything, I'm ust updating him about what's going on'.

You trust John enough to relax, and Winston looks down at his watch at the same time, 'I have to go now, I have other matters to attend to. I hope you rest up (Y/N)', he gives you a quick smile before leaving you and John alone.
You took note that John didn't hesitate to lock the door the moment Winston stepped out of the room.

'What happened in there?'

He suddenly asked you.

Of course, he wants to know more about Lady Jane.

You feel sudden disappointment inside but you weren't going to withhold too much.

'I mean, not much, she just wanted to- you know, know if we were lovers. That's all'.

John shook his head, 'there's more to it, what else did she ask?' You shrugged, 'she didn't ask anything else really, she had other matters to sort out so she sent me away. She was going to kill me after'.
John raked his fingers through his hair, 'no, there has to be more to it, I know there's more', you sigh, 'look, I don't know if she really wanted to talk to me- well she did say that she wanted you to feel pain or something and mention a woman named Helen... Your wife?'
John froze and looked back at you, 'yes... She was my wife, she died some time ago- but... I understand where Jane is coming from'.

'Wait... What? You know why she wants you to feel pain?'

'I let her go. I left her'.

'Why?'

'Because of the path she had chosen'.

So... She was still beautiful and if she changed paths then it would be all over for me.

You sat back and sighed, 'maybe there's time? Maybe she can turn back and-'.

'That's not possible, she's in too deep in this'.

You're not so sure what else to say after all that, 'look John I- I don't know, I don't know how long I can take this'.
You jumped when he reached out and touched your cheek. You hadn't realized that he had come closer.
Your eyes met his dark brown ones. His gaze raking over you slowly. You could feel your heart slamming against your chest as you freeze, waiting for something, anything to happen.

'John I-'.

He leant down and kissed you.