Chapter 12 - Infinite: Round One

"You must be a straggler who got left behind," Infinite began as he attacked, "The strong will always vanquish the weak. You have only your own frailty to blame."

Aurora avoided the glitchy substance that he was throwing at her, trying not to get hit by the illusion.

Soon, he swooped down toward her, only for Aurora to dodge him and hit him.

"Well well," said Infinite, "It seems behind that fear is a spark of defiance. And those eyes..."

He brushed the side of her face with his hand.

"I feel like we've met before..."

Aurora pushed him away and used her lightning whip on him.

"You've put up quite a fight," Infinite continued, "I underestimated just how desperately the feeble cling to life."

He then threw energy balls at her, only for her to dodge them and drop her phantom ruby, which she then picked up.

"I remember you," he said as he adjusted his mask, "You were that wolf's little friend he sacrificed his life for..."

This only made Aurora more angry.

"You survived then, but you throw it all away now," he continued, "How curious..."

He summoned cannons that surround her.

"This will be goodbye."

He fired the cannons.

Aurora braced for the impact gripping on tightly to the ruby...

Nothing happened.

Aurora opened her eyes to see what had happened, only to see that the cannonball had gone right through her.

Clearly Infinite was as confused as she was.

He fired the cannons again, which she dodged, only to be pushed back by Infinite.

"No matter," he said, "They have only two days left, let them contemplate the inevitable until I end this once and for all."

Infinite then flew away, leaving Aurora confused.

She looked at the ruby one more time.

What even happened back there...?

~~~

"Things where going well with Operation Big Wave," Knuckles began, "but then everything fizzled out when that Phantom Ruby kicked in."

"That fake Shadow was created using the Phantom Ruby's power, right?" said Silver, "Even if it's a virtual reality projection, it's as strong as the real Shadow."

Shadow, who was glaring at Aurora the entire time, approached Rouge.

"Rouge, have you found the intel I was looking for?"

"No, not yet," she began, "But I have reports that Eggman's database is located at the Chemical Plant. If we can check that out, we might find something here."

"That sounds like a promising lead," said Sonic, "We have to figure out the secret behind Infinite's power and virtual reality."

He turned to Tails.

"Tails, could you handle this?"

"Got it!" said Tails, "I'll take Sonic -- I mean the other Sonic -- with me and head to the Chemical Plant!"

As Tails made his way out, the young Sonic turned around and pointed finger guns at Aurora with a smug look on his face, which made her feel embarrassed for him.

"I know, right?" said Sonic as he approached her side, "He's so immature sometimes..."

Aurora then turned to him with a concerned look on her face.

"You do realize that's you, right?"