Chapter 23

[3rd Person POV]

After what had transpired earlier, Kirigiri Kyoko ended up watching over L/N Y/N at a hospital near the center of Tokyo where Hope's Peak Academy is.

The boy had not awoken since his collapse, and it had been an hour or two since. The doctors could not find any underlying matters, but it has been confirmed that Y/N collapsed due to an enormous amount of Mental Stress.

The detective's thoughts were full of what could be the cause of this Mental strain in Y/N's head.

She could remember him locking pinkies with her and then suddenly freezing, the light in his eyes disappearing before finally fainting.

It took 13 seconds from his initial halt in any movement to his body giving out. Which meant, that whatever happened caused so much stress in such a short time that his body couldn't handle it.

What on earth caused this...?

Y/N has never showed any signs of significant stress throughout their trip, the most he showed was when Kyoko was being harassed by a stranger, which prompted Y/N to get “a little angry” or so he claims.

But after that, nothing. Their night went on normally.

She did allow him to go do some stuff without her, but she deduced that he used that time not only to grab his glasses, but also to get her the necklace she wears now.

Kyoko grasped that accessory into her gloved hand, making sure that all of her thoughts were only about him and the cause of this situation.

It's easy to draw the conclusion towards Project: Kurai, which she had confirmed that the subject of it was Y/N. But she knew little of it to pinpoint what exactly had happened.

Only her father--whom she had already called through the Hospital's telephone, could possibly know everything regarding Y/N and Project: Kurai.

Then she suddenly remembered her father's words.

"The subject is not aware that they even participated in the project."

It lit up like a bulb inside her head.

Turning to Y/N's unconscious self, she began to draw a conclusion after remembering that crucial statement.

Remember...

L/N Y/N has vague memories of his Middle School Life.

The majority of it, he always remembers it being by Makoto Naegi's side.

Jin Kirigiri knows both of Y/N's parents and they were students of his in the past, and with that, he came to know Y/N.

The subject not knowing of their participation in the project, meant that either he was forced into it or someone consented for him, and if Y/N is freely able to walk around the campus and even live his normal life meant the latter happened.

Which begs the question who...?

She doubts Makoto Naegi would consent for Y/N, as a project regarding human experimentation will never make it outside of Hope's Peak executives and researchers, and the fact that they make such an active effort to scrub the record of it ever existing off anything meant that they were keeping this from those same executives from finding out anything about this.

So the detective could only draw 3 people to suspect.

Jin Kirigiri, D/N L/N, and M/N L/N.

Those 3, especially both her father and Y/N's father are more likely to consent for Y/N to attend his project.

Kyoko had known about Y/N way before the semester started, but she's never seen what he looks like nor did it have anything to do with her, if only she had taken a look at it more closely back then, then maybe she wouldn't be stretching any deductions she's making, because she's really starting from nothing due to lack of substantial evidence besides word from her father.