Horizon couldn't shake the feeling of unease she'd felt when looking at the Shadow Forest. It seemed to be wanting something, needing something.
Needing her?
She wasn't sure, but she planned to stay far, far away from it. Still, she felt a strange pull towards it, and whenever she was subconsciously taking a stroll, she tended up gravitate towards it.
Horizon had busied both her and Thrush, hoping that they'd both forget about it soon, but Thrush kept bringing it up and Horizon still couldn't shake the tugging feeling she got whenever she got a bit too close, and too close seemed to be anywhere on the territory.
"Why aren't we allowed to go inside the Shadow Forest?" Thrush asked.
"Because no cat knows what could become of us." Horizon meowed honestly. She'd heard stories of cats who'd gone in and never come back, stories of cats who'd come back mangled, their bodies left outside the forest. She'd even heard one story about a cat going in and coming out different, more violent.
Thrush looked skeptical. Horizon understood, she was a young cat and she didn't want to listen because she thought something was cool, but Horizon still wanted to make sure she remembered who was teaching and who was learning.
"Remember, you're my trainee." Horizon reminded her. "You have to listen to what I say, and I say that if you go in that forest I'll give you a good cuffing over the ears."
Thrush winced. "Alright." She mewed. Horizon relaxed slightly, confident that Thrush wouldn't venture into the Shadow Forest any time soon.
Horizon shook herself. "Alright, let's go home."
++++
Horizon had snuck out of camp while Thrush went back. It was still day, but the sun would be setting. She pricked her ears; there, Crystal sat on a tree. Crystal didn't belong to any group of cats, but Horizon and her were good friends.
Crystal purred. "You're here!"
"Hey, Crystal." Horizon purred and leapt up to her. "How're you?"
Crystal flicked her tail and purred. "I'm great! What about you, what've you been doing without me?"
"I have a trainee now, Thrush." Horizon laughed. "She's wonderful and very eager. She seems oddly attracted to the Shadow Forest, though."
"Oh." Crystal blinked. Horizon and Crystal had been meeting since Horizon was a trainee, and Crystal knew how dangerous the Shadow Forest could be, she had lost a sibling to it.
"I just hope I can keep her safe." Horizon sighed.
"You'll do fine." Crystal purred. "I believe in you."
Horizon dipped her head. "Thanks, Crystal. It means a lot."