viii

Horizon was trying to fight the satisfaction that came over her every time she saw the vines all over the forest. After all, this was her home! She wasn't supposed to be happy that it was being torn apart, but...she couldn't help it.
Not only did she enjoy seeing it, she wondered if she could make the vines grow any more. She knew that it was a bad thought, and she shouldn't be doing it, but Horizon couldn't help it.
Horizon felt no incline to speak with the Lost Spirits about this. She didn't need them anyways. If they weren't going to deal with this, then they must be fine with it, right? At least, that's what she assumed. Horizon thought back to the night that she, Toad, and Thrush had went to the forest. As far as Horizon could tell, the vines wouldn't leave the territory of the Shadow Cats, but perhaps, if she gave them something else...
Horizon shook herself. She knew, deep inside, that it was wrong, but she couldn't help it. She couldn't stop, not yet. A few more vines won't hurt, right?
Horizon limped over to where Toad and Thrush were talking. The vines around her back leg were so tight that she had a hard time walking with it, but she didn't mind. Horizon sat down beside them and spoke in a low tone. "Is it just me, or do seeing the vines make me feel...happy?"
"It's not you." Toad nodded. "I feel it, too."
"I want more." Thrush's voice was barely audible. "We need more."
Horizon blinked. "I have an idea..."