xii

Toad returned to the others with a big, fat starling. Horizon purred. "Great catch!"
Toad puffed out his chest. Lion had told him that he was a pro hunter! Toad shook himself. "Alright, are we ready to go in?"
Toad looked at the forest uneasily. It wasn't too scary, but he wasn't sure what was inside. Still, the urge to go inside was too great for him to resist.
Thrush nodded and Horizon spared a glance at the territory before sighing and getting to her paws. "Alright, let's go."
Toad followed Horizon and Thrush inside. As soon as she stepped into the forest, he felt everything chill around him. The pulling feeling in his chest got stronger and he glanced over his shoulder to see that their exit was now gone.
"Great." Horizon sighed. "Hold on to that starling, Toad. Our lives may depend on it."
Toad nodded, pressing closer to her.
Soon, they came upon a cave. The pulling in Toad's chest was so great that he hesitated to stop in front of it.
"Should we go in?" Horizon asked, her voice trembling. Toad glanced over and saw longing and curiosity deep in her green eyes. She definitely wanted to see what was in the cave as much as Toad did.
"Yes!" Thrush meowed, starting forwards.
"Wait for me!" Toad wailed, running after her. He didn't want to be alone! He heard Horizon sigh and follow, easily catching up to the two trainees.
Instead of getting darker as they padded in, it got lighter, until they stood in a bright cavern illuminated by a strange red carving on the floor.
It seemed to be an image of a cat, although it had several other parts to it that Toad couldn't distinguish.
"Maybe..." Horizon inhaled, "This is how we get out of here."
"Alright." Thrush nodded. "Toad?"
"A-Alright." Toad padded shakily up to the center and placed down the starling. The ground began to rumble and Toad began running back to the others, who ran over to him. Now they were all on the glowing symbols.
Quick as a snake, two vines snapped out and wrapped around Toad's ankles. Toad screeched as he felt thorns dig into his flesh. He looked up and saw a black figure materializing.
The black figure chuckles. "Oh, more? This is just what we needed."
Toad felt himself trembling. They should've never come here! He glanced over at Thrush and Horizon. Horizon looked horrified and Thrush was stunned into silence.
"Let us go!" Toad yowled.
The black figure'd whiskers twitched. "Oh, how cute. Rest, young ones. It will all be better in the morning."
Toad felt his eyelids begin to droop. He stumbled and felt unconsciousness reach out for him. He tried to fight it, but it was too strong, and he blacked out.