Stay as long as you want

Elizabeth's pov

Gabrielle took her bath and she's now cuddled up on my couch watching a Disney movie. It's already 8 pm and I think she was getting tired.

She asked if she could have a night snack so I gave her some grapes and some fish crackers. She then thanked me and finished her movie.

Im cleaning up the kitchen a little because I don't like things messy. I grab some paper and walk over to the table to write down things I need to do tomorrow since it's my day off.

"Okay. Go to the mall. Grocery shopping and-" I felt a tap on my arm. I look over and see Gabrielle half asleep.

"Are you tired?" She slowly nods her head. "Can I pick you up?" She thinks for a little but finally decides that I could.

I set my pen down and pick her up. She slowly lowers her head so that it's laying on my shoulder. "What's your name?" I hear her mumble into my hair.

"My names Elizabeth but you can call me Liz or Lizzie" I felt her nod. I walk to the bathroom and set her down. "Okay so I have extra toothbrush's for when Rose is here" I bend down to get one.

"Who's Rose?" I get back up when I find a pretty pink one. "Rose is my friends daughter. She's the same age as you I think" I wet the toothbrush then put some toothpaste on then wet it again.

I then handed it to her and she brushes her teeth. As she was doing that, I went and changed into some pyjamas then went to brush my teeth too.

"Elizabeth? Can you help me down?" I hear her say. I smile and walk over to, helping her down. "Where do I sleep?" She asks as soon as I finish brushing my teeth.

"Let me show you" she nods her head. I show her the way to the room that Rose stays in whenever she stays over. "It's pretty" she looks around.

There's a huge bed and you can see the whole city from her window. "Is it okay if I go to sleep now?" I nod my head.

She runs to the bed and jumps on it. "Here let me help you" I started tucking her in hut she slapped my hands away.

I raise my hand so that she knows I won't continue. "I can do it myself" she ticks herself in as I watch her in awe.

She's adorable. I love how she likes to do things by herself. "Good night Gabrielle" she looks up at me with a huge smile. A smile that I'm guessing hasn't been on her face for a while.

She just smiles at me then turns around. I shrug and walk over to the door. "Do you want the night light on?" I ask her. She turns around and shakes her head.

"Okay, I'm going to-" I got cut off by her jumping out of bed and running over to me and switching the light off. Okay then. She really likes doing things herself.

"I'm going to close the door now" I start but she stops it. "No. I'll do it" I giggle and let her do it. As she was doing it, she kept leaning her head so that she could still see me until she couldn't anymore.

I hear her little feet padding the floor while running away. I wait until I can't hear anything knowing that she's okay.

But I heard something that broke my heart.

Gabrielle's pov

"Mama, if you can hear me, please come and get me soon. I miss you. I'm in a better place now. Someone helped me today. I finally got a bath and ate some yummy food..." I sit on my bed watching the sky.

"I know you told me that I was annoying little brat and I'm sorry. Just come back" I sigh and lay in bed. Why does she hate me so much?

Come on Gabrielle. If she really loved you, then why did she leave you?

I close my eyes, trying to think of those happy moments I had with her before she left. It wasn't much but it was something.

Elizabeth's pov

"Hey mom" I speak as my mother answer led her phone. "Hello sweetheart. How is my girl doing?" She asked with her cheerful self.

"I'm good thank you. How about you? Does dad keep sterling those delicious cookies again?" She groans at that reminder.

"Yes, I had to hide them from him but somehow he found them" I laugh at that. Moms cookies are always the best.

I remember winning a banking competition because mom helped me when I was younger. You were supposed to bake cookies by yourself but they didn't need to know that she helped me.

"I'm going to bring some tomorrow when we come over" I hum in response then I remembered. "Oh um can you bring some extras?" I know that she's tilting her head at this moment thinking why.

"Sure. Just don't eat them all in one day" I laugh. "I won't. And I have a surprise when you come" I hear her gasp. "David! Stop eating those cookies" I giggle.

"What's the surprise?" I shake my head even though she can't see it. "You'll see" "alright. Well, I should go before David eats the whole batch again" we say our goodbyes.

I walk to my room and put my pyjamas on. I crawl in bed and grab my laptop to read some emails about this adoption thing that they told me they would send.

I filled out some long forms so that I can foster to adopt Gabrielle. Even if I don't know her that well, I still want her to be happy and have someone to love her.

After I finished that, I turn the lights off and go to bed. Tomorrow, I decided that we will go to the mall, before the visit, to get her some clothes that she likes so that she's not wearing Rose's clothes all the time.

I close my eyes and dreaming about how I could change this little girls life.

Gabrielle's pov

I woke up the next morning with the sun shining in my face. I turn around and look at the clock. It says that's it 7 am. Elizabeth is probably still sleeping.

I get up and change back into my old clothes. I fold the pyjamas nicely and set them on the bed. I made sure I did the bed first.

I grab my backpack and walk to the huge window that's in the room. I look outside and see how busy the streets are in New York. Even this early in the morning.

I stand there for a while until I really needed to go before she woke up. I first wrote a quick thank you for letting me stay here the night and wishing her the best.

I then tip toed outside the room and stuck the sticky note on her door so that I wouldn't wake her up.

I then tip toed all the way to the front door and put my old shoes on. I take one last look around the house and smile.

I turn around and slowly open the door. I look back once more time to make sure that she isn't around. "Coast is clear" I whisper to myself as I take a step out the door.

"Where are you going?" I jump at the sound. I slowly turn around to see Elizabeth standing behind me looking confused and hurt.

"Coast is not clear" I mumble. "Um I was just leaving. I left a note on your door. Thank you for letting me stay the night but I should be going now" I saw something flash across her face.

She looked shocked but hurt at the same time. "Do you really want to leave?" She ask. No. But do I tell her that? No.

"Well it would be nice if I could but I can't so I'm going to leave" I open the door once again and tried stepping out until she stopped me one more time.

"You can stay if you'd like" I smile and turn back about. "Are you sure?" She nods her head while a huge smile is plastered on her face.

"Okay..." I walk back inside and take my shoes off. "You can stay as long as you want Gabrielle" I smile as she leads me to the kitchen to start breakfast.

"Gabi" she hums and turns around. Probably not understanding why I said that. "You can call me Gabi" she smiles at me. No one ever smiled like that at me in a long time.

It felt nice. "Okay. Now Gabi, what would you like for breakfast?"