Chapter 6

The girls nodded their heads sadly, I gave them a light a hug before the girl convinced me to play dolls with them.
———

A few days later Daniel and I settled in and started our daily routine. Today was like no other, I woke up around 6:30, get dressed, than go down to the kitchen to make breakfast for Hans, Charlotte, Anne, Frau Schneider, Herr Schneider, Daniel and I.

Today that consisted of croissants which I only needed to heat up. I got out the jam from the ice box and set the table. Frau and Herr Schneider come down during the process, and eat breakfast first before leaving to work.

Once they finished, I got up and waked the Schneider children and we started eating breakfast together, shortly after joined by Daniel. "Fräulein, why does Herr Cohen sleep in longer than us? Why don't you wake us up all together?" Hans complained.

"Well Hans, I'm sure Herr Cohen wakes up before you do, but he takes his time getting ready and preparing for your lessons" 'and he has an injured arm' I added mentally after my explanation. It seemed to satisfy Hans. Once everyone finished eating I got the dishes and started washing them. I noticed a figure next to me, I jumped back in fright

"Daniel! You startled me" I said placing my hand over my heart. Daniel flashed me his signature boyish grin before letting out a chuckled.
"I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again, every time I think I understand you who you are, you seem to change" Daniel said, I started chuckling. "What?" Daniel asked.

"Nothing, I just remembered another thing from that night" I said, Daniel raised his eyebrows, he seemed to not completely understand. "When Reinhard came in and I told you to go, you took a offense saying, quote and quote 'Fräulein Müller, don't you know know it's rude to insult a man's ability to fight'. That I'll admit could be true, but my brother was a six foot tall SA brawler, and you remember the time he hit me I'm sure" I said looking down.

"You know I didn't take offense to it, since I knew it was true, but you didn't have to say that he probably outweighs me by 50 pounds and quote 'could crush you in an instant' that was insulting, but true, no doubt your brother was strong and capable of killing me without a gun. And why is it I doubt he can use a gun well?" He asked looking at me.

I let out a laugh "You must be crazy if you think he can't use a gun, heck, we were taught by Hitler himself before we were even adolescents. If you were to give me a gun and told me to shoot something, chances are I could, Reinhard would be no different, he has more experience too. After all, he was apart of Cell G, and I saw him kill someone" I said, starting to choke back tears at the end.

Daniel stared at me for a few seconds, opened his mouth than closed it, thinking twice. "I realised something when I saw his dead body, if he had only acted nicer, he would've been happier. He had the looks, but not the personality. He knew how to put on an act. After we met at the club Reinhard beat me home and opened the door for me, acting like a gentlemen, it's happened multiple times. It's shocking, looking back, there's so many times I could just laugh at for his stupidity. Like when he told me and Kurt he had a date. That is something I could never picture, yet if he had a slightly different up bringing, it could've been something very believable." I said looking down, before I remembered I had to wash the dishes.

"Remember about a week or two ago when we were in my apartment and I washing the dishes?" Daniel asked, I slowly nodded. "You stated that you've never seen a boy wash dishes before, I'm assuming that your brother never did anything, was there a reason?" He asked.

I took a deep breath before speaking. "Well, for starters, Reinhard was mamas favourite. I also grew up in an environment with rigid gender roles. Girls looked after the house and children while men worked. And Uncl-- Hitler told me that women were prizes to be won. When I told him about Reinhard hitting me he said that Reinhard was the man of the house and could punish me as he sees fit. He said if I didn't change my ways I'll be 'an unwelcome challenge for a man, a hindrance rather than a tonic, an opponent rather than a pleasure.'"I said, mimicking him at the end. "Un- Hitler, presses these rigid gender roles on everyone but him, he is a hypocrite. On multiple times he's told me, Eva and even Geil that we ought to consider marriage before we grow old and hysterical. He says everyone ought to marry, well, expect him 'My bride must be Germany' or 'Everyone should get married, well, expect me.' Honestly if I hear that one more time I'll break out laughing. It's silly really to say that. It's, ugh." I couldn't finish my sentence and scrubbed the dishes roughly showing my anger.