Chapter 13

After a few hours we finally we saw the land of England "We've been travelling for four hours" I said before covering my mouth to yawn. Daniel chuckled
"We still have half an hour" Daniel sighed, wrapping his arm around my waist.

_____________

We finally reached the shores of Portsmouth. We looked at the time "You were right, well, you were off by an hour, but due to time zones, you were right, it's 10:40pm" Daniel said, in broken English. We agreed to speak English once we arrive in England. "How much money do we have?" Daniel asked.
"I'm not sure, we should go to a coin exchange" I said before we went to a coin exchange and we got £9. Daniel and I shared a look.

We managed to find a taxi to take us to Oxford which cost us £5. Daniel had fallen asleep on my shoulder since he had felt sick on the boat. It took us 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to the Whitestones.

I shook Daniel awake when we got to Oxford. We walked the path to the Whitestones house. It was 1:20 in the morning and freezing. We got to the Whitestones door and knocked. I felt guilty as it was so early in the morning. After a few minutes I saw Dr Whitestone and another woman with bright red hair.
"Gretchen Müller? Is that you?" He said in German to me. I nodded, he looked over at Daniel "May I ask who this young man is?" He said
"I'm Daniel Cohen, Sir" Daniel said in slow English. Mr Whitestone nodded, suddenly he noticed that Daniels arm "Mr Cohen, is your arm ok? Do we need to get it checked out?" He said concerned.

"I'll be fine" Daniel lied, I've seen how much pain his arm can be in "Can you please make sure Gretchen was eats before anything else" Daniel said, leaving no room for argument. The red haired woman nodded.

"Oh, Julia, this is Gretchen, and Daniel. Gretchen, Daniel, this is my wife, Julia" Mr Whitestone said, Julia went into the kitchen and started cooking something.

"Daniel, I don't believe we have met" Mr Whitestone said once we sat down. "Gretchen, I trust you can introduce me?" He added
"This is my beau, Daniel" I said, Mr Whitestone nodded.
"So Daniel, my I ask what your hobbies are?" He asked.
"I'm- was, a reporter. I'm from Berlin" Daniel told Mr Whitestone.
Mr Whitestone nodded slowly.
"You can stay here till you find a job" He informed Daniel.

A few months later

Alfred; Mr Whitestone; had enrolled me in school and Daniel had gotten a job at Oxford Mail and a small apartment. It was Christmas Eve and I had a plain red turtle neck sweater and a green skirt that went little passed my knees, I wore some boots and grabbed a grey over coat to keep warm before I made my way to Daniels apartment.

I got to his apartment and he eventually came downstairs "Good morning Gretchen" Daniel said once he got down, I gave him a quick hug
"Good morning, do you have anything planed for these next days?" I asked, Daniel thought for a second
"If you are implying if I can celebrate Christmas with you, I can't really celebrate it as a holiday" He chuckled "It's a Christian holiday, not a Jewish, I can spend time with you" He said "I'm not explaining myself very well" He chuckled, I nodded
"I think I get it. You won't celebrate Christmas, as a holiday, as it's a Christian holiday that celebrates Jesus's birth, but you'll spend time with loved ones?" I said, not completely understanding, Daniel slowly nodded.

A Few Months later

I woke up and went down stairs. I went back down and was relieved it was the weekend. I heard a knock on the door and opened the door and saw Daniel there, I must've looked shocked to see him since he chuckled.
"You seem shocked to see me?" He said
"I kind of am, I wasn't expecting you" I said, trying to remember any important dates that may be today.
"It's your birthday" He muttered. I stood still, right, it's my fake birthday

"Sorry, I feel so stupid." I lied, I felt now face heat up in embarrassment.
"It's fine" Daniel said
"Well, why don't we have a party?" Julia asked.
I straightened up "No! You don't have to. It's a waste of money, and it won't really make a difference" I said. Julia nodded slowly.
"Well, I'll let you two spend the day together" Julia informed us before walking away.

On our walk, Daniel remined me when his birthday is incase I forgot, I nodded, I hadn't forgotten, but I hadn't written it down.

Daniel took my hand and we made our way to a small café. We spent the day together. I got home and kissed Daniel good bye before I went into my room, I rummaged around for a second and found a book full of lines. I figured I could use it for dates and or something I want to remember.

I got out a pen and wrote:
Daniels Birthday- 2/08/1913
At least now I've got it somewhere so I can remember.

Timeskip (18/07/1932)

I groaned and sat up, I looked at the calendar at my on the wall. I laid back down and pulled the sheets over my head and groaned. I was thankful the only person who know that my real birthday is today is Daniel. I was now officially 18, although due to my face birthday, I'm still '17' and won't turn 18 till next year.

I got dressed and got ready for school. I had a long day at school and I couldn't wait to come back home and relax. I just made it home when I heard a bunch of fast footsteps coming my way. I turned around and saw Daniel, running towards me. He got to be and wrapped me in his arms, spinning me around. He put me know and I stood still, in shock.

"Happy Birthday Gretchen" he said, hugging me again. I just stood there; Daniel must have realized "Are you ok?" He asked.
"Yeah, I just, wasn't expecting it" I explained, Daniel chuckled and wrapped his arm around my waist.
"Do you want to go out for dinner? My treat, it's not every day you turn 18, and become a legal adult" Daniel muttered.
"You say that, but you've been 18, and you are now 19, I doubt you would've changed to much" I said, Daniel chuckled.

"18 is a big deal, just since it's when you are officially an adult" He said, trying to reason with me.
"Ok, but don't even think of getting to drink, I'll have to turn it down, for a few reasons" I said.
He chuckled lightly, wrapping his arm around my waist "Not that I was planning on it, for a few reason of my own, care to tell me your reasons?" He asked, quickly kissing me.

I took in a deep breath "Well, my English ID states that I'm 17, and not 18 till next year; I also don't really intend on drinking unless it's a formal event like a dinner or a wedding" I explained, Daniel nodded
"Similar to my reasons, so, are you going to take me up on my offer? Or leave me to get a raincheck?" He asked, offering his hand. I chuckled and took his hand.
"I would let you take a raincheck, but since it's my birthday, it's a good enough reason. So, I'll take you up on the offer" I said, kissing him quickly.

A/N

Well, that's all for this chapter. I really want to start on the sequel, but co-a/n is really mad at me, and will delete any more chapters...
So things might be more rushed from now on....

I hope you have a good rest of your day/night

Co-a/n:
Finally a chapter. And a/n stop writing the sequel. Pls finish this book first 😡

A/N: I was waiting for you to write a co-a/n! I must have wrote most of the next chapter and got bored, and it took you almost a week to edit this...

Word Count: 1329