Chapter 15

I felt my face heat up, I let out a small nodded "Well, I'll let you two be on your way" The doctor said. I looked up slightly, I saw that Daniel was buttoning his shirt and putting on his overcoat.

We left shortly after we paid, and we walked to Daniels apartment.

______________________

1/01/1933

I woke up to a knock on my bedroom. I was shocked since no one wakes me up, mainly since it was news years. I looked up at the time "I'll be there in a few minutes" I called out to the person who had knocked. I heard the sound of a faint a chuckle. I could recognise that chuckled from anywhere, Daniel.

I quickly got changed and went to Daniel "Happy new year's" I said once I got out.
Daniel let out a slight laugh "I guess so. Speaking of which, I can't be with you on your 'birthday' my editor informed me I'll be covering a country dance there. I know I've managed to work as a society reporter, but I really don't like it. I want to make a change, like I did in Germany. Speaking of which... Hitler is raising to power, and at a quick rate from what my parents said in a telegram" Daniel said.

I let out a laugh "It's fine, it's not my real birthday, so I don't feel that hurt. Although in regard to uncle- Hitler, I'm not that surprised. The reason why he's raising to power is the same as why my family supported him so much. He solves all our problems. We were in dept, we were poor, and often starving. He promised to solve this, since lots of people were in a similar place..." I said quietly.   

"I can't pretend to understand. But what you're saying make sense. Enough about Hitler, it's pointless to talk about. Everyone is trying to hold on to this uneasy peace." He sighed.

It wasn't the first time I had heard that. He had told me this the first time we kissed, when we got together. We had just heard some SS soldiers talking about some plans for Jews. I remember how angry he was when he had heard what they had said. I remember he had said that no one would believe him and his fellow reporters at Munich Post about Hitters plans for Germany. He had been slightly surprised when I stood by his side.

We got down to the dining room and had breakfast. Once we finished breakfast, Daniel and I went out for a date for the day. We had walked to a park and sat on a seat.

"So, what are your plans for new year's?" I asked him, lightly placing my head on his shoulder.
"I don't have much, mainly spending time with you. I have to send my family a telegram while I can. There were elections in November for chancellor, I have little doubt Hitler will win. So, I need to send a message as soon as possible" Daniel sighed. "However, the life of a society reporter sucks. I have a new year's event to attend, although my editor is a slave driver. I had to stay up all night on a New Year's Eve report last night, and another tonight" he said.

I looked up to him. He did look drained "You should try to get some sleep. I understand why. Sleep is important" I scolded.
Daniel chuckled "People are meant to spend time with loved ones" he said.
I let out a frustrated sigh "You need to sleep. You would've been up all night, or almost all night for your report, and you have another one. If you want to have a good report, and not be nodding off mid-event, you should get some sleep, it's completely fine, Daniel" I argued.

Daniel shook his head "Let's make a small compromise, we spend till lunch together, and after I get some sleep till 7:30 so I can make it to the party in time?" He offered. I thought about it for a second; he'll get enough sleep, and we'll spend some time together.
I nodded "I suppose that'll work" I said.

"Do you want to go to a café?" I asked, Daniel nodded. I knew that he didn't like public places due to his arm injury. We walked to a café that we had been to for serval dates in the past.