Chapter 1

He has thirty minutes until she dies.

A tall man with wavy brown hair, pushed his way through pedestrians. He had to hurry, a child's life was at stake. 

29...

28...

He shoved the hospital doors open, nearly knocking a few nurses over.  A young nurse's eyes lit up as she nudge her cast fallen friend. "Ann, guess who showed up?" she teased. Ann looked up from her stool and her eyes showed life again, her head lifted off from her hands which it rested upon. She stood up slightly, then whirled to her friend, mouth agape. She then straightened and said the words she's practiced to say. "Good day, Good Doctor" she bowed. "Good day, Ann" he acknowledged, rushing past her. Ann raised her hand then hesitated. Should she or not? Brushing off the shy feeling she garnered courage. "Um, I beg your pardon sir?" she blushed, looking shyly at him.  

The good doctor chuckled then turned to the young woman smiling giddily. "Yes Ann? What is it?" The young woman opened her mouth to speak only to cut off abruptly by a fellow nurse. "Good doctor, the patient is critical. Could you please not flirt with ditzy young girls?" she narrowed her eyes at Ann, who pulled at her hair nervously and looked shyly at the doctor who sighed ad shrugged. "Afterwards, Ann, I swear it on the queen" he said before running off.

Ann's shoulders slumped and she sank back down. Her friend gave her a look of pity and placed a comforting hand while shooting the blonde a dirty look. "What's your problem, Katherine?" she glared. The blonde smirked and approached while monologuing. "Just helping the good doctor to keep his virtue from desperate girls like you" she said, crossing her arms and giving a confident smirk. "You mean so you can get him yourself" Katherine turned to see who criticized her. The culprit was a fair skinned girl with curly hair hidden underneath her hat. She has her arms folded, a bucket of water beside her. "Like you know anything, Elizabeth" Katherine hissed. "I know everything" she retorted. Katherine scoffed and walked away from the girls.  

Ann only sighed, while Elizabeth approached, face full of concern. "Is she going to be alright?" she asked Ann's friend. Ann's friend waved" Oh, she'll be alright. This is not the first time Katherine's ruined her plans. She's tried so many times to get him to ask her out but Katherine just keep stomping on her flame" she looked at her friend, emphasizing on the last part. She again turned, waving and startling Elizabeth. "But she'll be fine"

27...

26...

The good doctor donned an apron and was greeted by his assistant, Nicole Moor, a succubus. "Good day, Good Doctor" she grinned. He smiled while he washed his hands and slipped on his gloves. "Good day, Nicole" he greeted as he walked passed her. The young woman beamed with pride and had a mini victory. The girl then followed him inside as the other nurses watched from the outside as he did his work.  He approached the operating table, the child already under anesthetic.  He nodded and the operation began.

25...

24...

The skull was cut open and the man searched for the vile creature that had infected the child.

23...

22...

Everyone held the breath, Nicole wiped the good doctor's sweat as he narrowed his eyes. There, right here at the brainstem is a nerveworm, a parasite that uses it host to reproduce. Found in contaminated soil or water, it enters the nose, eyes, ears and mouth. Then it attacks the medulla oblongata, constantly putting the victim in pain. 

The muscles convulse, the nerves go haywire and finally the victim stops breathing all the while, the worm is slurping the insides and reproducing, after the creature dies. Its offspring will escape via the corpse when it's buried. It will then travel through the ground, and find a nice patch of soil or water, the same soil (or water) its parents previously resided and wait for it's next victim.  It's a vile thing but luckily he's here to cure this child of its affliction. He picks up the pliers and inserts it into the child, being careful not to move too much of the brain or the worm will be alerted of his presence and cause brain damage to the child. 

21...

20...

Nicole again wipes the brow of her doctor as he gains distance to the worm.

19...

18...

The doctor inches closer to the worm.

17...

16...

Everyone waits.

15...

The doctor's eyes narrow as he concentrates. Nurses are ordered to carry about their duties quietly. Some, stop what they're doing to watch the good doctor at work. 

14... 

13...

The doctor smirks as  the worm presents itself in all of its disgusting glory. Looking like a mass of wires, it's tentacles wrapped around the child's brain. All he needs is the head and the child would be out of danger.

12...

11...

The pliers clamp down, gently, on the thing's head. He begins to, gently, pull.

10...

He pulls and Ann begins to pray for him while Katherine glares at her.

9...

The worm begins to trash, attempting to latch on its attacker and cause peripheral neuropathy.

8...

The worm begins to lose its grip on the child's brain.

7...

The child's leg moves a little. The anesthetic is beginning to wear off. Ann's prayers become more earnest to Katherine's chagrin.

6...

More tentacles loosen.

5...

The doctor starts to grab the worm's head, applying pressure, which causes the worm to burry its tentacles snake up his arm, under the skin. He applies more pressure and the worm's head is removed from the medulla oblongata, to the cheer and worry of many. 

4...

He whispers, "It's okay" which is picked up by Nicole, thanks to her super hearing. He grunts and slowly pulls upward, causing the worm to let go of its hold on the brain

3...

The worm is finally removed and is now in the air, thrashing its tentacles around

2...

The doctor then slowly goes to a jar which will be its new home. The jar is opened and he places his arm inside the jar. He nods and Nicole starts filling the jar with pomegranate juice. The worm starts shrieking and unburies itself from his arm. He lets go of the head and the worm is dropped into the liquid. The jar is closed and the two back off, their breathing haggard

1...

Success

 The two hugged each other and the hospital is filled with a roar of applause.  Even the other patients cheered.  "Stitch up the head, she'll no longer be in danger" he said as he took off his apron and gloves. The others nodded and and began to do the stitching. Ann and Katherine passed the doctor by. The good doctor stopped Ann and took her hand, kissing it. Smirking, he maintains eyes contact, gives it one final kiss till he lets go. She gives her rival a giddy smirk and says, "Look like ditzy girls are his type". Katherine only glowers in anger. 

Author's Note: The worm looks like a brittle star (look it up 😅) but more disgusting. Hope you enjoy 🥰