Chapter 3

Six years later

1885

The detective entered the police station. Louise had told him that an old friend called for him. Naturally, he went though he suspected it may be trap. Guess old habits die hard.  "James" the detective turned to the Chief of Police, Edward Cromwell. The man smirked and looked behind him.  "How's it been, chief?" said James Steward, who turned to face Edward.  Short and portly with brunette hair that's neatly combed.  Sideburns finishing the look and clade in a police uniform with a deerstalker hat worn, he raised a curious eyebrow with a smirk. "James, I need you on a case" the chief said. 

"Good, it's been how long?" "Six years" the chief answered. "God" he sighed. "Felt like yesterday I've had that count killed" he shook his head. He stooped his daydreaming and put on a serious face, "Alright, what's the case?" The chief explained, "Apparently a freak is killing people all over England. Especially the supernaturals" James puffed on his cigar. This was not unusual. Ever since, Queen Elizabeth I of England made a law, making humans and supernaturals live as one, many people had persecuted them. The more the wrong doers were punished, the more people rose up to do it. Now in the reign of the new queen, Queen Victoria, this activity has become more prevalent.  "Well now, who's the scrote doing this?" he asked. "No one knows. That's why they send for you" James waved him off. "Get someone else to do it" he said. "Would you turn your back on your countrymen, James?" asked Edward. 

James sighed and sat back down. "No, Edward. I haven't turned my back on my countrymen, you turned your back on me" he snarled, the last bit in his former friend's face. He walked off in a huff, turning his back to Edward and placing his hands on the desk. "I'm sorry" Edward said, his head bowed. James approached him in a rage. "I don't want your damned apology. I want you to stop ya chattin'  and get on with it". Edward sighed, rubbing the crook of his neck. "I want you back on despite others telling me otherwise because this bugger is killing people in your hometown" James raised an eyebrow in curiosity. 

Edward picked up a book with all the names of the victims written inside. He flipped the pages and said, "And, unfortunately, one of the victims of this manic was the an old friend of yours. Used to take to take care of you and your sister when you were children.  Her name was Emma Jones" 

James slumped into his chair, staring at the door. Edward closed the book with a look of pity. He knelt to James level and whispered, "Look, James. You may talk all you want but England needs you, whether you like or not.  You may say that I'm manipulating you or lying but here's the evidence" he places the book in his lap. James awoke from his melancholic state to look at his friend.  "You tell me, detective," he spoke. Standing upright, he walked out the door. James didn't even move when the door was closed.

 Louise was washing the dishes briskly, with an angry look on her face. Ever since her brother quitted being a detective, he has lived in the house like a pig. "I'm goin make that fool work night and day until he drops. he'll beg I let up on him, he'll be sorry" she muttered under her breath. She raises her head when she hears the familiar bell. "Speak of the devil" she sighed and left the sink, turning the faucet off of course. "Well James? I hope you brought the groceries" she piped up. No response. She approached her brother who was sitting in the chair, blankly looking at the wall. "James, what's wrong?' she inquired.  "Ms. Jones is dead" he responded. 

She covered her mouth in horror and staggered back. "Killed by some freak. I believe is a serial killer" he set the book down on the coffee table. Louise sank to he ground, trying to take in the news. "What are you goin to do?" she raised the question. "Louise, I promised to stay in retirement but I can't let some serial killer continue his killing spree. You know what I have to do". He stood and straightened his jacket. Turning to his sister, he says, "I'm going back. Don't try to stop me".  His sister stood and gave him a stern look. 

"I wasn't going to bother".

"James! Louise!" A voice called.  The two children stopped playing. "Come inside now!" She demanded. James groaned but yet came running, his sister far behind. "James! Your shoes! Ms. Jones chided him. He pouted but took them off. "Now don't forget to wash you hands!" She reminded him. 

After saying grace, they began to eat.  Finishing dinner, he washed the dishes with Ms. Jones.  "Ms. Jones, when I grow up, I'll be great man." He told his caretaker. Ms. Jones smiled. "I'm sure you will. But you won't be if you continue to be so stubborn," She told him. "But I'll change, I assure Ms. Jones. When I'm older, I'll be better."  Ms. Jones patted him on the head. 

"I'll hold you to it."

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Added the flashback to give context. Fun fact, in 1885 America received the Statue of Liberty from France. So while America got a cool statue, England was dealing with a serial killer.....let that sink in for five minutes.