Chapter 7

The body of twenty year old Violet Marshall, an aspiring witch who longed to help others. She was found in an alleyway of the slums, covered in a black covering. When uncovered, she was naked and a stich was across her chest, indicating she was cut open. Like all the others, her organs were removed. Her body was taken and was being inspected by the police.  It was identified as another work of the mysterious Dr. Death. Or as the newspaper was saying. 

James was smoking his pipe as his niece was knitting. "Look, Louise, another one" He pointed with his pipe. His sister only shook her head in disapproval. "Take your dark humor somewhere else. I will not entertain your damned jokes in this household" She snapped. The older man only laughed in amusement.  "Stop your mithering sister. I'm off. Be good Lotte" He tipped his hat at his niece who smiled back. "Tell Thomas I said hi" He hollered. She smiled sweetly. "I'll let my husband know, uncle" She replied. James took a bow which erupted a giggle from his niece and an eyeroll from his sister. He then promptly left the house and flagged down a carriage. 

The detective was surveying the body of the young woman which was brought for analysis. His jacket was strewn to the side and his sleeves were rolled up to the elbow.  "You'd better not be getting aroused by this, pervert" Mary made a snide reply. James only chuckled. "Sure, Virgin Mary. Hate to break it you but I'm not that type of man" He said, as he checked the victim's neck. The woman's mouth was agape which immediately closed to form a snarl.  "You and your  fertility jokes! I wonder if your a misogynist?" She asked. 

The detective only laughed which angered her more. "If I was a misogynist, I won't even stand work with you and having to look at and speak with you let alone live in a house with two women. The question is, do you lack a sense of humor? If so, I'll let all jokey men know as not to date you. Cause you're a killjoy. Like you'll kill the poor bloke for making the joke" He replied. "Besides, that Virgin Mary joke was mint. I'm keeping it. In fact that is what I'll be calling you from now on. It's fine, it can't be sacrilege cause this is a protestant country" he added. Mary only pouted. "Well?" asked Edward as he entered. "

Don't look, gaze upon her and you'll be turned to stone" The detective said mysteriously. Edward rolled his eyes, "The victim or Ms. Lowell?" James only shrugged in response. "Depends on who's worst". "Well then, I'll take my chances. This is the state of the bodies who've met Doctor Death. His victims usually have stitches found on their chest, abdomen and back, with their organs extract for some reason. We've haven't figure out for what or why,"  he explained. 

James stroked his chin only to realize he doesn't have a beard. He quickly went behind Edward and stroked the Englishman's mustache. Mary covered her face and shook her head. Edward boasted a serious look on his face.  Suddenly, the detective snapped his fingers. "Illegal activity" "What?" asked Mary. "I'd knew you'd say something like that Virgin Mary. You see, the organs are being collected from these cadavers. And supernatural organs are very valuable, said to give someone mystical powers.  So the best way to get these organs are to... well... kill supernaturals. Why rob graves when you can take lives" He joked. Mary ignored the humorous comment and said, "So, you're saying some gang's behind this." 

The detective opened his mouth for a minute then paused awkwardly, thinking about what she said. "No" he hastily replied. "I am saying, whoever is doing this has an accomplice. He or she can't be doing this alone" he expertly said. Mary and Edward were baffled. "And who do you know this maniac has an accomplice?" she questioned. James chuckled. "Oh Virgin Mary, mother of Crisis, they are marks which looked like this body was handled by two people. See?" he pointed . The two leaned in for a closer look. Right as rain, they were several bruises that suggested her body had been handled. She was clearly roughed up by two suspects. 

"I'd say, start looking for an accomplice, now excuse me" He said, strolling out. Edward shook his head.  "We handled this case the longest and somehow never once picked up on  this blatant evidence?"  "Beginners' luck" She muttered, scowling. Edward walked off. "I'm beginning to think I should just fire you," He said, fixing his tie as he walked out. Mary balled her fists. She was not going to let James have her replaced. She refused to lose this case to a man who seduces sex offenders for a living. She's going to shadow James from now on. She wasn't going to let him win.