Chapter 14

John, Stephen and Sara stared down the trio. The rain poured down in the background. The air was thick with intensity as John and his wife stared down James, Mary and Edward.  Stephen glanced between parties, wondering whether he's guilty too. "Well, I didn't expect this at all. How are John? Guess you got carried away with the butchering" remarked James. John burst out laughing. "Yeah, I guess so" he elbow jabbed his wife who also laughed. 

"Listen, I want to apologize for yesterday, when we said those things. Emotions were running high and..." "Nah, I understand. You didn't mean those words. Sorry for the inconvenience doctor. We didn't mean to burst unto you like this..." "Oh not at all.  I completely understand. Imagine my surprise when a man comes in with his crying wife, bleeding all over my floor. This is one strange night, right detective?" He joked. "Yes indeed. I shall now be on my way. Come along friends" he smiled, biding his friend's to follow him. 

Mary and Edward bide farewell and closed the door behind them. Both parties let out breaths which they were holding in. "Don't scare me like that, sweetie. You could have died" she berated her husband. "At least we finished the job" he said, glancing at the doctor. "I'd never thought in all my years, I'd be tending to criminals" "We're not criminals! Just broken hearted parents" she said. "Well, don't do any window hopping for a month. Understand?". The couple nodded. "I see why you're called the Good Doctor" the butcher smirked. "Well yes. Off you go" he said, directing them to the door. The couple soon exited the premise. 

Meanwhile, James and co. were conversing with each other in another carriage. "Well?" he looked at his companions. "They're suspect material for sure" Mary stated. Edward nodded in agreement. "But we have to be certain it is them". James lit his cigar, "No problem, Bessie. I've got you covered. We'll lure them out the old fashioned way. The two glanced at each other. "A trap?' asked Mary. The detective nodded. "A trap"

***

"Achoo!" he sneezed as his niece handed him another tissue. "James, I told you you should've taken an umbrella. But doesn't anyone listen to dear Louise? NO! This is the bloody result" she screamed, pacing up and down the house. "A woman of God shouldn't be cursing. You're being hypocritical" he teased. He was immediately wacked with a wet rag.  "Oh.... Shut up!" his sister commanded as she placed the rag  on his forehead.  

The knock on a door was soon heard. "Oh! That'd better been him!" she said, getting up to answer it. She soon came back inside. "Is it him, mother?' asked Charlotte hopefully.  "No, it's one of her uncle's dibble bessies" she said ruefully. 

Mary followed behind her, carrying flowers. "I hope these warms you" she smiled, indicating to the bouquet in her hand. "Ah! Ms. Lowell. You have come to warm my cold body. Well, start stripping and start cuddling" he joked, shivering and sounded funny as his nose is stuffy. Mary laughed heartily. "I'm here to warm you in a way. I meant the flowers" she hands the flowers to Louise who places them in a vase. "Oh, maybe some other time" he said. "Maybe" she repeated, a faint blush dusting her cheeks. Another knock resonated inside the house.  "That'd better be him" muttered Louise, who went to the answer. 

Sure enough, she returned with a familiar tall figure behind her. "Good Doctor, I'm glad you're came here" she said gratefully.  The man bowed, taking off his hat. "Any brother of yours is a friend of mine" he said. He then knelt beside the detective who laid on the couch. "Will he be alright?" asked his concerned niece. "So far, you've don e the right thing. Wrapping him up in sheets. Perhaps you should have taken an umbrella the next time you're in the rain" he gave the man a look. 

The detective rolled his eyes at the doctor.  "Don't remind me of that notion. Everyone, be still. I'll get better in no time" "Oh no, you won't be stepping a foot out of this room till you've recovered" snapped his sister. James pouted. "Stop acting like I was in the rain, unconscious, bleeding in the rain from a gunshot wound and being nursed back to health by some mystery woman!" he argued, pouting again.