Chapter 17

The man backed away from the couple. He removed Charlie's mask where Sara had an angry expression on her face. "John...Sara...why?' he asked. "Why? Because you failed to get justice for our son! He was a brother to you in your own words and gave him so much disrespect. It's like you never cared for him! Once more, you let the killer get away. We decided to bring to justice into your own hands"

 James shook his head at that notion. "No, Sara. You're gravely mistaken. This isn't justice, this is murder. You're no better than the fiend who out that killing hundreds of thousands of innocents.  You think you can find him like this? Sorry but he was no demon or warlock or ogre or any supernatural. He's a human and you're wasting your time. By now, he's gone or dead and did care, more then you. You're just using your deceased son as an excuse to kill. If he is indeed looking down on you, I'd say he's abandoned you lot, like before. Probably for this best. How would I tell Louise, you just tried to kill you only daughter?" He paced about. 

The couple's eyes widened and Sara showed fear. "That was Lotte? You're sorry we didn't..." "This is all a prank you see, James. A huge joke" laughed John nervously. James stopped pacing and faced the couple, all smiled leaving their faces. "Then I'm the fool who fell for it" He said seriously.

Cheers rose up from the crowds as James ascended the stairs to be given a crown by the Her Majesty, the Queen. "James Steward. You have done a great service for your queen and country.  We are entirely grateful" She said, giving him the medal. He kissed her majesty hand. "I was just doing my duty" he smiled.  He went over to Vincent who embraced him in a hug as Mary Lowell and Edward Cromwell were given medals. "Thank you, Detective. I am eternally grateful to you. You've saved my life. The detective grinned. "Just making sure, the family line continues" He joked. The vampire chuckled. "Thanks to you, I can inherit my inheritance from my late father.  I truly am grateful. Also, my late parents' doctor shall attend to me. You know, Stephen Drake" He said.

 James nodded his head, deep in thought. "James?" asked the vampire. "My lord, I was thinking. What if I got the wrong man" he said. "What?" the vampire asked bewildered. "This just seemed too easy for me. I've dealt with easy cases. That count terrorizing Yorkshire. But this is was too easy of an open and shut case! Something's not right" he explained to the vampire. He shrugged, "Perhaps you saying such things as you won't want to incriminate the Howards" he theorized. "No they should definitely pay for their crimes. But I'm saying...suppose the real Doctor Death is still out there" he pondered. The vampire looked off into the distance. "I feel the chill of death looming over us. I despise this feeling" observed the vampire lord. "Me too, my lord. Me too".

Stephen arose from his bed, and sat on the edge of it. Nicole still slept soundly. He's slept with her only to prove he doesn't care for Ann. He walked over to the mirror. He looked like a dead man. In truth, he cares deeply for Ann but Nicole won't let me see any other girls beside her. She was more despicable then him in an ironic twist. Still, he won't let this demoness walk over him. He felt so dirty, just like he felt when he's around those supernaturals. He'd more preferred to end lives not save them but he's a doctor. Doctors save lives. Right? He brushed over the feeling of dread and washed his face. 

Nicole's slender arms wrapped around his waist and tightened like a snake. "Good morning my love" she said in a sultry voice. "Nicole, let go of me" he ordered. She frowned. "No kisses? No confessions of love? Nothing?' she asked disappointedly. "Nicole, I've told you. I don't love in that way. I care for you just not romantically" he said, wiping his face. The demoness crossed her arms, angrily. "I bet you're thinking about that nurse girl, Ann. She won't do" she said. "If I could convince her..." he began but Nicole cut him off. "She has no spine, she won't do. She'll flee when you're surrounded, you'll see" she pointed out. 

James sighed. "However, I'm more loyal than she is" she whispered into his ear, biting it. He pushed her off. "You're loyal to my manhood" he stated. "Now prepare my bath" he commanded her. She pouted. "Bastard" she muttered.