Chapter 2

(Play this when you see this symbol *)

Six years prior 

1879

Dead bodies were strewn all over the place. Thomas almost gagged at the site. "This is disgusting" he said, his nose wrinkled. He couldn't believe he was here. "Struck again, huh?" said a husky voice as he strode through the door, careful to avoid the bodies.  Thomas shuttered as he too stepped over the bodies, seeing clearly how they died and that it wasn't quick. The man approached the body of a young woman, checking her neck. "As you predicted. You were right. It really is a vampire" the police commissioner said, shaking his head. "Of course I'm right, your men are bobbins" the man stood, stuffing something in his pocket and lighting his cigar. Tall with brunette hair, his bangs giving him a youthful appearance despite being in his late twenties. Sideburns finishing the look and clade in a fedora, dark brown trench coat, black gloves, black pants, white shirt, black waistcoat and cravat tie. 

 The commissioner ignored the jab he made at his men as the man continued, "We all know who is behind this" he turned, facing the commissioner. "Yes, sir" the commissioner then signaled his men and hurried out. Thomas turned to follow him but was stopped by the man. "Not you, Thomas. You're coming with me" The man whirled around, mouth agape. "I never told you my name" The man smirked under his hat. "That's why I'm the world class detective, my good man. Now come with me. Your dear commissioner is going on a wild goose chase. I know the true culprit" he whispered into his ear. Thomas looked bewildered. "You do?" "Yes, now let's go" he said, dragging the youngster. 

"Uh, are you sure about this?" Thomas asked with worry. The duo was outside of HM Prison Wakefield, the most dangerous prison at the time.  "Oh, yes" he answered. "Now don't doddle, police boy" he waved at him. Thomas pouted. "When did I become your partner?" he muttered. "Right now" the man hollered back. "And how did you hear me from way over there?!" The youth asked, scared. "My little secret, police boy" He replied, slyly. The youth followed him inside the prison.  Men yelled at them from behind their cells, even catcalling some of them.  "Don't worry, they won't harm a hair on your head while I'm here" the man spoke. The youth nodded. 

He approached one of the guards. "I came see Charlie Maxwell" he said with authority. The guards gave him a funny and suspicious  look which turned to terror. He smiled awkwardly and summoned a guard which escorted the two men to a cell. "If you die, it's not on us," The young man replied, nervously. The man looked at the youth who rung his hands then smirked. He walked towards him and pinned him against the wall. "You probably don't know this but" he leaned into the man's ear. "It will be if Her Majesty hears about this". He looked the youth in his face to his reaction which pleased him greatly. "Now, be a good lad and keep your mouth shut or else" he said. The young man nodded and ran off. "What's the else?" asked Thomas, causing him to chuckle. "You don't want to know" the man quickly replied. 

The man approached the cell of the nefarious sex offender, who sat in the darkness of his cell muttering to himself. "James Steward. When I get my hands on him for his deceit, he'll be sorry" the man said, pelting stones at the wall. "Here I am" replied a husky voice. The criminal turned. "Who's there?" he demanded.  "The one you wanted" came his sultry reply. "The one I... Oh no" he staggered back then approached gain, looking through the bars. "You!" he gasped in horror. James  cornily smiled. "Hi, Jean called" "No!" "Says she wants her stuff" "I'm not going through this again!" "And she wants it now" He looked at his prisoner, waiting for a reply. "I hate you" Charlie growled. He shrugged "They call say that. Well?" Charlie turned away, waving him away. "Eat my arse" he said, grumpily. "Well, since you asked so nicely..." James looked down at his hands and looked up with smirk. 

 Charlie quickly realized his mistake and rushed back, grabbing him by the collar. The man slammed against the cell door with much force. Thomas, who was utterly confused by what was happening, quickly went for his gun but the detective stopped him. "Please don't" he pleaded. He looked at the youth, "Don't let him" he begged. Thomas looked at him then to the detective confused. "Promise to cooperate and you won't be bothered by Jean again" he replied smoothly. The crook nodded and released him. The detective brushed off  his coat, smirking confidently. "That went better then I hoped"  Thomas looked at him quizzingly. "Who's Jean?" "Ancient history kid. Now Charlie..." He then asked the question he was trying to ask: