Chapter 8

Mary hopped out of the bush, followed by a groaning James. She felt good about her deed and no regrets. That smug smile soon left her face when she was faced by a smoking pipe Edward who was looking at her and him. She saw her ruffled self and his and immediately knew what he was thinking.  "Edward, it's not what it looks like..." "Bessie, this woman has just assaulted my gentiles!" He said before bowing his head in pain. Mary swiftly turned around and scuffed in amusement and unbelievability. "I just did a lot of women a big favor. Who knows what infectious disease you've got?" She replied. The detective gave the policewoman a look. "You really think I am that type of man. Well, talk about sexist!" He screamed before bowing his head again to moan.  

Mary looked to Edward for backup but in turn she only got a glare. "Sorry" she apologized softly. "Not sorry, woman. Get to me to a bloody hospital before my sister unleashes upon you the nine gates of hell!" he yelled at her. "You're in luck, James" spoke Edward. He pointed to the building. "Let's see if the doctor's in, shall we?" He beckoned the both of them. James gave her a look and she gingerly smiled before supporting the detective on her shoulders.

"You'll be alright, detective. Just wear this ointment and you'll be fine" Dr. Drake smiled as he handed them an a container. "Much thanks" he smiled back. "Looks like someone had enough of you" Nicole commented. James snorted, "She's right behind you. Say thanks for doing humanity a big favor".  Both women gave him a glare. "So what caused you unfortunate accident?" inquired Stephen curiously. "Your assistant" he responded. The succubus' mouth fell open. "You lying scumbag! Tell him the truth!" "See?" he quirked an eyebrow. Stephen Drake gave the succubus a look which immediately shutted up the demoness, crossing her arms in frustration.  "I'm sorry my assistant caused that much trouble. I'll do everything in my power to..." he paused to sniff the air. "Oh my, what's that smell?" he said in disgust while fanning his nose. 

Edward snorted and Nicole gagged. Mary began to fan herself which worsened the smell.  James laughed  in amusement. "It's only garbage. I was digging around in some garbage because I was a drunk little bastard and I came across your little assistant.  So I tried to woe her but she seemed more attracted to my groin or well kicking there. I begged and pleaded but she kept assaulting me. Thank God, Virgin Mary and Edward were here. They chased her off and saved me and my nuts" he said. "Are you believing this liar?" she asked. "Don't you go calling me a liar, demon. Part of a group of fallen angels. You prey on men and represent the sin of lust so don't you  o judge me"  he rebuffed her. "Foul creature who will die by fire and brimstone and will succumb in the lake of fire in the last days" he muttered. 

 Her eyebrow twitched and she again pouted. "I see you're a religious man" Dr. Drake noted. "I used to attend church. I had a bit of a falling out with the faith especially the priest" he added. "Hmph! Can't imagine why" Nicole glared. "Well, in that case, I deeply apologize. Now do as I say, have someone put the ointment on your nuts, someone who know and trust. And afterward, cough, take a good, long bath. Especially one with tomato juice" he wheezed as the smell overwhelmed him. "Duly noted Good Doctor, duly noted" he saluted the man as the others coughed around.

"EWW!" complained his sister and she and her daughter scrubbed her uncle. "Come on in, Charlotte. The water's great" he said, as he splashed around. His niece blushed and fervently shook her head. "You should burn in hell for this!" She cursed him. "So much for being a woman of God" He remarked. He was duly rewarded with a slap at the back of his head. "Ow!" he moaned, rubbing his sore spot. "It's right. Just because I'm a woman of God, doesn't mean you should be acting like this. How old are you?" she said. "Thirty-three" he said humbly. "Thirty-three and you're acting like a child?" She said in disbelief. "You never let me do anything when I was a child, so this was the result, an immature adult" he said, splashing bubbles. 

 Louise shook her head and muttered a prayer, imploring God for strength. "Uncle, you aught to stop with your immature behavior. Many women have been spreading rumors, saying that me and mother aren't your sister and niece but prostitutes you hire of the streets to be your family". "Really?" He feigned shock as he looked at the two women bathing them.  "Tell me their names so that they may face my wrath" He said triumphantly. 

His moment was ruined by his sister who poured water over his head. He coughed and wheezed while she placed on her hips. "I told you to close your mouth" she shook her head. He grinned, "Now scrub behind my head, harlots". The women jumped on him and hit him over the head with their scrubbers, feigning anger. "Thomas dear, bring more water for His Majesty" Joked Charlotte. Her uncle bowed his head in mockery earning a giggle from his sister.  "Daughter, that's sacrilege" his sister laughed. Thomas trudged up with a bucket of water. "What's the big idea, digging around in garbage?" He grunted.  

He smirked at his nephew in law. "Thomas, my boy, you haven't learned have you? I suspect that the killer's in that hospital" he said. Louise doused his head with suds. "Are you suggesting that the Good Doctor is behind this?" she asked. "I've never said that, but I'm keeping a good eye on him. You'd never know" he said. Charlotte frowned. "What about me? I'm a supernatural. I got bitten by that crazy count remember? I could be his next target!" she said, worriedly.  

Thomas placed a comforting hand on his wife. "Don't worry Char. As your loving husband, I, Thomas Davis, swear on the Her Majesty the queen that I won't let that monster hurt you" he said gazing lovingly into her eyes. She smiled gratefully at him. "Eww, I hate sappy!" He complained.  Louise laughed. "Then where's you're special one?" She asked. "In a brothel" he said grimly. The others laughed and splashed water on him. 

Flashback

+++

James walked down the street,  chugging liquor down his throat.  He stumbled a few times,  incoherently  speaking. He finished the booze and smashed it on the ground. Suddenly he heard a shrill scream. He turned the corner to see a tall man standing over a dead body. The man looked over his shoulder and breathed heavily, it sounded out of this world.  

James stumbled over his himself as he searched for his gun. "Ah ha!" he said as he successfully pulled out his revolver. "Alllll right youz basturd, surrender yorself and nobodies get hurt. 'Cept for that lil gurl over there. I think shes dead. Is that a lil gurl dead, I dough no" he said drunkenly. The masked man approached the detective who was swaying from side to side. "Sir, you need to lie down" The eerie voice of the man said as he pushed him down with one finger. 

The drunk detective fell and didn't even bother to get up. He watched as the man walked over him and a short curvy woman approached him. "Charlie, take the body back..." His mind blanking out before he could overhear the rest. 

"James I'm tired of you and your shenanigans! We haven't even got our man and you want me to believe that a masked maniac is responsible!" Screamed Edward. James nodded. "You heard me Bessie" he said as his friend paced the floor. "Do you take me as a fool? This is what happens when you drink, James. You see things" He said. 

James got up in his friend's face. "At least the beer's more reliable than you" He snarled. The detective walked off in a puff.  He brushed past a blonde woman who shook her head. "I can't believe you hired him" she said. Edward bowed his head. "He was my friend" he said, staring at James as he slammed the door. "Was" She responded.

AN:  Hope you enjoy this flashback.  I hope it doesn't contradict anything 😅