Chapter 15

James, Mary and Edward awaited the arrival of Lord Vincent Beaumont, the eldest son of the late Count and Countess. He came down the steps of the ship, dressed in white shirt with a tie, cream colored pants, black shoes, a brown waistcoat and his hair was long and slicked back.  He walked with grace and had an aura around him. The two officials of the law wanted to bow out of respect while James felt like he wanted kiss his feet or his lips. Curse that impossible beauty of his!

 He looked like Apollo, so radiant he was.  His warmth inviting them to come closer. White hair and snow white skin, he had the looks of his mother.  "James Steward, Mary Lowell, Edward Cromwell. It is an honor to be in your presence" he said, bowing lowly. "I believe we should bowing to you, my lord" said James. 

Vincent smiled at the detective. "My father said the same thing but I always disregarded him" his smile fell. "Now I regret those harsh words I told him when he forbid me to marry a girl I loved. He told me she was bad blood and he was right. She robbed me of everything, including my life. I'm grateful to be alive but I mourn for my late parents. My mother was at least spared from the life of widowhood so I should thank her killers, by seeing them be beheaded or hanged" he said grimly. He then smiled at the trio. "Shall we go?" he said, pointing to his carriage. The three shot at each other sideway glances. More like telling them to be far from him was a far better choice, least they end up like Icarus, whose wings were burned by the sun and he fell to his demise. 

The hospital bustled with life as everyone huddled around to see the message sent to them. "Good Doctor, we invite to a ball being held in your honor of your duties in the Manchester community.  You are our guest of honor. Bring whomever you like, we are in your debt for what you've done" read the message.

 All the nurses hoped that the doctor choses them to be his escort. Ann tended to her tasks, keeping her head low. "Anastasia" spoke a deep voice. She whirled around, startled. "Woah now. Put down the mop" he said with a big grin on his face. "Oh, doctor! I thought..." "I was with James Steward?" he smiled, shrugging his arms. She shook her head vehemently, blushing madly. "No! I-I thought you were Nicole" she bowed her head. He placed his hand on her shoulder, raised her chin to his eyelevel. "What do you mean, Ann?" He asked concerned. 

She glanced away from him. "I-I...well...she had told me you and her were married so I decided from that moment to stop pursuing you. Then I asked around and it was revealed you weren't so I confronted her and I told her to her face she won't stop me f-from getting with you. So that's why..." she drifted off, getting lost in his emerald green eyes.  The gape closed between them and her soft lips met her doctor's. It was a gentle kiss, sweet yet short as the two separated.  "Doctor...Stephen..." she said. He stepped away from her. "I-I didn't mean to..." "It's alright. That was my first kiss, doctor" she confessed. 

He smirked. "Your first, huh? Ann, I would like for you to be my escort to the ball held in my honor" he said, bowing to her and offering the young maiden his hand.  Gasps erupted from the mouths of many nurses. Her blush reddened and she nervously rubbed her arm in an upward, downward motion. She glanced around to see Katherine in the audience. She was shaking her head, mouthing the words "no". 

Determination swept through her veins and she smiled sweetly at the doctor. "Yes, I'd love to" she said, placing her hand in his. Cheers and applauds soon followed and many of the girls congratulated her despite their envy. Ann's friend gave her a thumbs up and the girl smiled. "You did, Ann! Finally!" her friend patted her on the back. "Did you see anything, embarrassing?" she asked nervously.  "No, why?" the young girl giggled at her friend's naivety. "No reason" she responded. Katherine watched her stroll off with a saddened look. Meanwhile, a certain succubus gave Ann the death glare as her friend chatted with her.