The Perfect Spring Day

Steve and Bucky stepped out of the Subway into the sun. Bucky put his sunglasses on, while Steve just blinked up at the bright blue sky. It was one of those perfect spring days - just coming into summer where the sky was blue and it was warm without being too hot. Steve hoped it was a good sign for things to come. That a perfect first date would lead to a lot more.

They walked side-by-side toward your apartment. Steve straight-backed with his shoulders thrown back and his head held high. While Bucky is hunched with his hands in his pockets.

Bucky had started to worry. He worried that this whole thing was a bad idea. That trying to change the relationship the three of you shared already was going to put too much strain on everything, and you'd all end up with nothing.

He took his hand from his pocket and hesitantly pressed his palm against Steve's. Steve linked his fingers with Bucky's and looked over at him. "What's the matter, Buck?"

"What if this is a bad idea? We're happy, aren't we? What if changing it ruins it?" Bucky asked.

Steve smiled. This was a conversation they'd had so many times now, normally with him on the other side. These last-minute nerves he'd expected. But he'd expected he was going to be the one that had them.

"Buck, you are the reason I get up in the morning. When you were gone, I wanted to go right along with you. I couldn't even do that properly. Without you, I gave up on this kind of life. I became Captain America and that's all I was. It wasn't until you came back that I thought maybe I could have this." He raised Bucky's fingers to his lips and kissed them. "I literally kissed the first woman who was nice to me."

Bucky laughed. "That was Peggy's niece, man."

Steve groaned. "I know!"

"Just after her funeral and everything."

Steve put his arm around Bucky's shoulders. "Gimme a break, I was dealing with a lot of emotions. Peggy died. I just got you back. My friend had had me arrested."

Bucky laughed. "I was sittin' in the back of that tiny fuckin' car. If you'd just gotten in the backseat with me..."

They stopped walking at the stairs to your building and Steve turned to face Bucky. He ran his hand along Bucky's jaw. "I love you, pal. I will always love you. 'Til the end of the line. If you don't want to do this, we won't. But I like her. And I know you like her too. And... if I'm honest I think we both need her. Like you said. She's not part of that -" he gestured in the direction of the Avenger's tower off in the distance. "And she's so sweet and so good. Don't you want that?"

Bucky nodded. "You won't both leave me?"

Steve pulled Bucky into a kiss. It was deep and hard and his hands carded through Bucky's hair. When he pulled back he rested his forehead against Bucky's. "What do you say, jerk?"

Bucky took a breath. "Yeah. I want this."

They turned and pressed the buzzer to your apartment.