Practice Makes Perfect

Steve ran through the park. It was part of his regular morning routine since he'd gotten Bucky back. Get up, meet Sam in the lobby and go for several circuits around the park while Sam did one or two. They kept the same routine even after it became something that the paparazzi keyed into and would start stalking them around the park. They did it even when fans would stop them for photos and autographs. They did it in rain and snow and on sweltering hot days even though Sam would complain the whole time.

When Bucky and he started exploring the romantic side of their relationship, Steve would stop at a deli and buy coffee and bagels and wake Bucky with them and the two of them would eat together in bed before Steve had to become the Captain for the day.

When you moved in, the tradition changed slightly. He still stopped for coffee with Sam but he'd go home empty-handed to an apartment that smelled like freshly baked bread, bacon, and coffee and was filled with the sounds of you and Bucky cooking together.

That was how it had been for the past three years. Things had changed a lot around the tower. There were new Avengers. Tony had retired as Iron Man. In fact, a year ago he and Pepper had adopted a son together. His name was Edwin. Sam had been seeing someone regularly for the past year. Bruce had rekindled a relationship with a woman named Betty and they were now engaged. Your one chocolate store had become three. With a location in Vegas and one in LA. There was even talk of opening one in Florida next. The world had needed saving once and there had been countless smaller missions.

The morning run had stayed the same. Steve felt as comfortable and relaxed as someone with his level of responsibility could feel. He was still hopelessly in love with two people. He was happy. Really happy.

He was also starting to become clucky. It had started with the arrival of Edwin. He loved being uncle Steve. He loved when he got the chance to hold that small boy and inhale the new baby scent. He loved watching how nervous you were when you were offered a chance to hold him. How you seemed sure you would drop him or squash his head. Most of all he loved how Bucky seemed to be a complete natural. How he could hold the infant and be both confident and completely delicate. How Edwin held his metal fingers just the same as he held his flesh ones. How they would look into each other's eyes until Edwin's eyelids grew heavy and he'd fall asleep.

Now he seemed to notice babies everywhere. In prams and carriers. Being breastfed by mothers as they sat talking and taking in the morning sun. Being carried by their dads. Crying that weak baby cry to let their parents know they're overtired. The more he noticed the more he thought that yes, this was something he wanted and that maybe the time for waiting was over.

He spotted Sam sitting under a tree drinking water, and he strolled over.

"One of these days I'm not even gonna bother trying to keep up," Sam said, holding out his hand. Steve grabbed it and pulled his friend to his feet. "Uh oh, you look like you've come to some big decision. It's not work-related, I hope."

Steve chuckled. "How are you so good at reading me?"

Sam clapped Steve on the back as they began the walk to the Subway. "Profiling is part of my job description, remember? Plus - how long have I known you now?"

"It's been a while," Steve agreed. "It's not work-related. It's not bad either."

"Spill it, Cap," Sam said.

Steve shoved his hand in his pockets and hunched himself over a little. "They're not going to like the fact I told you first. But I've been thinking about kids a lot lately."

A broad grin spread across Sam's face and he put his arm around Steve's shoulder. "Congratulations, man. That's great news. You are going to be an amazing dad."