Grown Up Time

Steve was starting to worry. Not about the triplets. At least no more than he normally did. There was always some underlying current of worry that they would get sick or injured, or someone would take them to get to him, or he wasn't meant to be a dad. They were fine though. They were coming up to three months old, growing well, and their development was on track even for babies that weren't so premature.

Yes, they almost never seemed to sleep at the same time. Yes, there were times they would all start crying at once and he would feel stretched so thin that he was sure the tiniest problem would break him. It was all worth it though. When they smiled up at him while making eye contact, he knew he would die for them. When they laughed he knew he would live for them too.

It wasn't them he was worried about. It was you.

You had taken to motherhood naturally - or that's how he'd seen it. The doctors had said to stay aware of postpartum depression. He was sure it wasn't that. You were tired, but you laughed easily. You talked about the things stressing you out. Your eyes lit up anytime the babies smiled or laughed. If you did have postpartum, you were hiding it really well and he just didn't see you as the kind of person who would do that.

What concerned him was, it had been three months since the babies were born and probably seven since you were last able to have sex, and you still showed no interest. Not that he couldn't wait. Steve would wait forever if he had to. He liked sex because it was a connection to you and Bucky but he'd never felt he needed sex. There were lots of other things that gave him that same connection. You and Bucky needed it more. You initiated frequently. You liked to try different things. This complete drop in libido was out of character.

If it was just that though, he'd put it on the exhaustion. Being exhausted made people not want to do anything much except sleep. It wasn't just that though. You'd stop undressing in front of them too. You locked the door when you had a shower. Occasionally either he or Bucky would offer to be on solo baby duty so you could have a bath with the other one and just have some private intimate time together, but you always said no, only really taking the offer it was given as something you could do alone.

He could not work out what was wrong. If it was something going on with you or if you just didn't feel the same about them anymore.

  If it was something going on with you or if you just didn't feel the same about them anymore

You did want to have sex with Bucky and Steve.  You were worked up beyond belief and at this stage sex with anyone at all sounded fun.  The problem was, you were caught up in your head. Being pregnant with triplets had changed you physically and you now no longer liked what you saw when you looked in the mirror.  You did want to have sex. You wanted it really badly, to the point that you thought if it didn't happen soon you might actually explode.

You just hated how you looked. The massive increase in stretch marks and the way your skin sagged on your stomach. You'd put on weight with the bed rest too, and with the kids demanding all your time, eating right and exercising was almost impossible. You couldn't look in the mirror anymore and if you couldn't look at yourself, you couldn't imagine why anyone else would want to look at you either.