Chapter 3

I woke up hearing the hammer banging into the walls, the usual construction in the house. The loud noise I can hear all the way to my nursery room. The construction is about to be finished, I estimate it will end next month just like in my past memories. 

I jump down my bed and walk around my nursery room feeling nostalgia overwhelms me. As I've seen enough, I walked out my room and saw the window outside. It's already sundown. I bumped into my father as he's about to go down the stairs. My father silently held my left hand as my right hand held the railings for support. My papa doesn't talk much but he shows through his actions that he cares about us very much. I heard chatter in the dining room, I guess it's dinner time. I saw my mama inviting the workers for dinner and my siblings talking shit about each other behind my mother's back. 

Us siblings have a 4 years gap. Currently, Alex is 13 years old, Bea is 9, I'm 5, Darrs is about to turn 1 on August 26, next month. Elle is not yet born, but soon in the following 4 years.

I sat on my seat across Bea. Seeing as my brother and sister are still arguing silently. Signing them to ask what's wrong. I don't want mama to find out, cause she'll nag them off their ears, but they didn't see it.

As I was watching them all, my family. I watch as I eat, I don't know what I'm doing but it makes me wanna stare at them for a really long time. And it seems Alex noticed. 

"what?" he asked.

"what?" I spoked.

"You know you were staring really hard," said Bea.

"And do you know you both have been arguing at the table for a while now?" I spoke with sass.

"No we weren't." said both.

They looked across our parents to see if they heard and clearly they did. papa was about to ask what they were arguing about, Bea hastily explained that they weren't.

"We weren't arguing, really." said Bea trying to sound sure.

"yeah." Alex added.

Our mama  just raised their eyebrows trying to warn us to behave in front of people. I look around why everybody is so quiet, making it painfully awkward. Papa had no choice but to talk to the workers about the continuation of the house and any few ideas to change. It did lighten the mood, except, the two were still arguing.

After eating, Alex headed straight upstairs with Bea, so I followed. They went to the veranda in the attic that has been designed as a library. They haven't found out I was following them. Bea took something under the pillows on the couch. It was Uno cards. I understood now what they were arguing. I went inside and asked if I could join them.

"no." said both.

"You don't know how to play." added Bea.

"But I can, I really know how." I said.

"Then what's this?" said Alex

Showing me a reverse card, testing to see if I really know how to play them.

"reverse card." I spoke.

"Then this?" ask Bea.

"a plus 4 card." I said.

" Good, then you can play," said alex.