Chapter 17

I pretended to sleep so that they wouldn't ask me questions and it seemed to work. Instead almost all families understood the words of their children. They thank the Lorell family for such a wonderful upbringing.

People always judge a child and connect their manners and mental upbringing to their parents. To strive from such a young age, it is a universal rule that a child is expected to be better than the other.

Therefore, parents know who to group their children with, away from rule breakers and trouble makers.

These children may be young and less knowledgeable than an adult, but a child whose world is as innocent as their hearts. 

A child knows more than that of an adult when the world is full of grievance and vengeance. They know and see  what an adult cannot. A child who only grows up to be bound by social standards are the adults who are blind and cannot hear.

When I looked at the child, Mordred. His eyes held no grievance nor anger. He accepted his mistakes and stood tall. He stood in the corner where he was left unattended by the parents, teachers, nurses, and doctors. He didn't complain. His wounds have yet to be patched. Yet he stood tall and straight as a bamboo pole. Unfettered by the looks of the adults.

 Call me heartless or brutal, but I have no intention of helping him out. I have done more than enough. I am an opportunist, there is nothing for me to get if I help him. And even if I can, his punishment will still continue and even if he is forgiven the haunted nightmares will return.

Nonetheless he reminded me of a certain poem. I sat up and looked him straight in the eye.

"Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell of clutch of circumstance, 

I have not winced nor cried aloud,

Under the bludgeonings of chance,

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,

Looms but the horrors of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years,

Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charge with the punishment the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

I am the captain of my soul."

The bustling chatters of the adults came to an abrupt silence.