24

"Thank you for your help, Prosecutor Marquez! Salamat talaga!"

Ngumiti ako sa mga kliyente kong maiyak-iyak na sa tuwa. Nakapanalo ako ng panibagong kaso. It was a long day but it since it was successful, I was immediately thrilled and all my exhaustion faded.

"You deserve justice," sambit ko sa kanila.

Mid-afternoon, I drove to the hospital for my check up. Tinanggal ko pa ang sling ko para hindi halata na isa lang ang kamay na ginagamit ko sa pag-drive. Baka mamaya sumulpot na naman iyong Mikolai na iyon at magkaroon pa ako ng fine, eh.

While walking in the halls of the hospital, I saw a kid who was a patient here base on the clothes she was wearing. I suddenly remembered Zoline. Nandito pa ba siya? Magaling na kaya siya? Instead of going straight to Doctor Valtierra's office, I read the signs hanging on the wall, finding the pedia ward.

"'To para sa 'yo, Ely." Pagkarating ko roon, naroon si Marco at nakikipag-usap sa isang bata. May inaabot siyang chocolate rito.

"Salamat, Doc!" The kid jumped, holding her cheeks in happiness.

"Huwag masyadong masaya. Sasakit na naman puso mo niyan." Marco held her arm to stop her from jumping too much.

Sumilip pa ako lalo para makita kung naroon pa ba si Zo. A curse came out of my mouth when I lost my balance while peeking inside. I accidentally pushed the door with my hand, almost tripping.

"Sorry," I apologized to no one in particular.

Marquenzo's gaze was drawn to me. Shock flashed across his eyes for a split second before fading, and he stood up from his squat stance. He ran his hand through his silky hair and adjusted his coat before walking over to a child.

"May hinahanap ka?" tanong niya.

"Wala naman, Doc!" nakangiting sagot ng bata. Natawa si Marco at humugot ng lollipop sa bulsa ng coat niya sabay abot sa bata. "Salamat po!" The boy ran while waving the lollipop in the air with his tongue out, making the others there jealous.

Marquenzo turned to me. "Ikaw iyong tinatanong ko. May hinahanap ka ba kaya ka nandito?" He gestured the ward with his hand.

"Yes, actually..." I cleared my throat because why the hell did my voice came out too soft?! "I'm just not sure if she's still here. I have no news of her for a long time."

"What's her name?" Marquenzo walked my way, stopping half a meter in front of me with his hands inside his coat pocket. I noticed he loves doing that. "Ano'ng pangalan para matanong natin sa nurse."

"Zoline. I don't know her last name."

Agad siya napatango. Of course he knew her. We both do.

He opened the door and paved the way, so despite my confusion, I went out first. Sabi niya itatanong namin sa nurse kaya bakit kami naglalakad palayo roon? May nurse naman doon sa loob.

"Wala na si Zo," Marquenzo dropped the news, making my heart sink. Malakas akong sumighap para makahagilap ng hangin kaya medyo napaigtad siya. "Wala na siya rito sa hospital," pagkaklaro niya.

I immediately returned the hard expression on my face, not wanting to lose my poise even though I was a little embarrassed! Bakit naman kasi ganoon siya maka-inform! Pabitin! We were at the hospital for Christ's sakes! Of course I'd think differently once he said those words!

"Why? Where is she?" I asked, curious.

"Adoption house. Gumaling na kasi siya kaya hindi na siya pwede rito."

I nodding, smiling a little. "Good to know she has healed already. She was such a kind and jolly kid," I said.

"Ba't mo siya kilala?" Marquenzo arched a brow at me, looking like he was challenging me. As a response, I just shrugged and kept my mouth shut as we walked down the halls in deafening silence.