| 𝟎.𝟑

—

"Sometimes you will never know the value of the moment until it becomes a memory."

It's been two weeks since I got here. Rileys reached out to me several times, and I ended the call with tears each time. I miss him so much, and it's killing me to be away. On the flip side, we talked about him coming up during Thanksgiving break.

It's also been two weeks since I've seen the handsome neighbor next door. Since the first introduction, I've only seen him when he'd gotten groceries for grandma. I caught his eye in the crack of the laundry room door. His eyes were dark and sleepy, and he peered at me with mystery. As always, I looked away first but not before staring at his tatted arms.

I'm being given a tour of the hospital. Back home, I was working as an ultrasound technician, and they were able to transfer me to the branch here. The birth rates here are average, but unfortunately, they range anywhere from five-teen and up.

"This is the office; it's where we keep all of our files on patients dating back to the early two thousand," the nurse guiding me said. I notice some spare mattresses on the ground and assume I'm in for a real one.

I nod and follow her to another part of the hospital. "How many women do you receive a year, would you say?"

"It varies. Usually anywhere from fifty to a hundred; a mixture of all ages. And this will be your station; you share it with two others."

"Thank you! I think I can take it from here." I offer a grin.

She leaves, and I continue my way around the hospital. It wasn't as massive as the ones back home. It only three stories, and half of them were filled with open patient beds. I find a flight of stairs and reach the top. Surprisingly, the door wasn't locked nor had a restriction sign.

Opening the doors, the grey sky greeted me kindly. I would never not get enough of the air; it was fresh, earthy, and reminded me of Cigarettes After Sex; Cry, and Apocalypse.

I almost jump out of my sneakers, spotting him across the way. "Cigarettes are cancer sticks, you know?"

I didn't push myself to approach him, seeing as he didn't dieter his attention from the view at the sound of my voice. He was wearing a baggy white shirt today with dark-washed jeans and sneakers. A chain hung around his neck.

"You gonna report me to your boss?" He says without looking back.

I boldly stand beside him, looking at the park and pond that sat behind the hospital. "No, I'm not a snitch, and what you put in your body is none of my concern."

He hums lowly, "you a doctor?"

I sit. "Nurse and ultrasound technician."

He chuckles to himself, lowering his head before peeking at me through his hair. "You gonna heal me, nurse Jamilyn?"