| 𝟐.𝟔

—

"Pretty when I cry."

"You're awake?" I whisper breathlessly, my heart booming in my ears.

His bruises were purple, almost black, glaring at me. A cut started from above his brow to the end of his eyes, stitched to perfection.

Creed chuckles painfully. "I woke up early this morning."

I cross my arms and walk beside the bed, keeping some distance. Creed eyed me slowly, giving me a once-over. The monitor spiked in my peripheral when we made eye contact a second time. I bite back a smile before worry fills my chest. "You should be resting."

"As much as I would like to, I can't. I have business to take care of," Creed says, slowly maneuvering off the bed.

I grab his shoulder. "You should wait for the doctor to get here. Don't be stupid."

His head rolls slightly left, grazing my forearm. I pause at the look on his handsome face, ominous and playful. "The partial reason why this hospital is even open is because of me. Doctors don't get a say in my leave."

I let go of his shoulder and planted my feet a few steps away. "Abby's been snooping."

The air thickened in tense silence as Creed's eyes hollowed. I stand my ground, watching patiently as he gets off the bed and walks to me. A hair away was where he stood, breathing down at me like death, waiting with his scythe. His chest rose and fell in long seconds, shifting the hospital against his tan skin.

"Move, Jamilyn. Or I will move you."

My crossed arms were the only thing keeping us apart. "We need a plan."

"I have a plan. I've had one since the moment she first talked to you. Now move."

"No."

"Jamilyn," he snaps, his knuckles turning white.

I blink up at him indecisively. One thing I couldn't do was convince him to calm down or control his temper. "For Christ's sake Creed, you got hit by a fucking semi less than forty-eight hours ago, and you want to go on some excursion."

I gasp as he engulfs my face in his hands, sighing in irritation at my stubbornness. His thumb left trails of sparks as they caressed my lower lip. His eyes held truth, and they were aimed at me in a way that I thought I would get a reality check.

Creed stared into me, coming across something that caused his eyes to flutter shut. "Move."

A sharp pain stroked my chest like getting hit with a prickly cactus. I was confused about his adamant need to shove me aside. I step out of his hold and turn my back to him without a word. "Let the door hit your face on the way out!"