| 𝟐.𝟒

—

"It takes grace to remain kind in cruel situations."

"Mama missed you."

Riley smiles at our mother through abuelas iPad over FaceTime. He repeated te amo, and I miss you back before going on about surfing. "—and then this big wave came crashing over Jamie and me, only I was able to come out the other side while Jamie got swept under."

I scrunch my nose at him for throwing me under the bus and toss a plushie at his head. Riley laughs it off and tosses it back.

"Mi niña, why are you hiding behind the screen?" Mom draws out.

I pause my typing briefly to answer. "Estoy trabajando, mamá."

(I'm working, mom.)

"Aye hija, No seas así y ven a ponerte al día."

(Hey, daughter, don't be like that and come catch up.)

My shoulders bunch tightly, a knot settling in my throat as I release a breath. The cold wood floor greeted my feet, causing goosebumps on my skin with every step. Riley side-eyes me carefully before lightly turning the iPad. Brown eyes that held a newfound easiness within stared back at me, quiet and happy. Mom smiles brightly, her aged lines winking at me. "Hola mi corazon," she says sweetly, tucking a shiny loc of dark brown hair behind her ear. "I miss you so much. How has work been?"

(Hello, my heart.)

A toothy grin I didn't know had risen and widened dramatically at her somber tone. "Good! Busy as always, but good. I suppose you've heard about how lame I am at surfing nowadays?"

She laughs, her chocolate brown eyes twinkling. "Nonsense, Jamie. Nothing some practice can't fix."

"She's gonna need more than a little practice," Riley mumbled not so quietly.

I elbow him, curling my lip in annoyance. Turning my attention to mom, I noticed the sad look she held as she stared at us. Riley, utterly oblivious to it, smirks at mom. "And guess what, mama? Sissy has a boyfriend!"

Red came across my eyes and cheeks as I jerked my head between him and mom. "No, I don't!"

"Do too!"

"No, I fucking don't, Riley!"

"Language hija," mom says, her fist gently knocking on the screen.

We stop our banter, and I manage to convince Riley to bid mom goodbye and leave the room. When the door clicked, I immediately turned to mom dutifully. "You look great, mama," I tell her earnestly.

A sad smile crossed her face, eyes filling with tears. "I missed all that, haven't I?"

I bite the inside of my cheek to prevent myself from crying. "All that doesn't matter anymore, mama."