| 𝟎.𝟒

—

"Darling, let me tell you a secret. In my heart, we're always kissing."

Love is a tricky thing. It's something between two people that burns you from the inside out, like an infinite flame. If it burns too much, you get hurt; if it burns too little, you get hurt twice as much. But if you both maintain the fire, it'll last forever. But how long until the smoke takes over and trust cracks under the pressure of the flame?

I floated in the water, tuning out the world around me as the water seeped into my eardrums. It was one of those rare days in Forks, Washington, where the sun was peeking through the bleak sky. It was nice compared to the constant blazing sun and sweaty afternoons back in AZ.

Mother surprised me at the choice of state when we first moved. She hates heat and the sun as much as the next introvert. I remember when it happened to rain in Arizona, she would sit on the porch for hours, just watching the rain. She and dad told me many stories when I was younger; how she and dad fell in love in the rain.

As if Mother Earth heard me while I was lost in thought, light prickles of rain pecked my exposed skin. I grimaced at the sensation and pulled myself out, rushing to the porch. I happened to grab my phone I left on the porch and text grandma.

Me
Grandma, where are you?

Abuela
I'm on the other side of town. I'll probably stay with a friend for the night. There's a bad storm underway.

"Shit!" I push my hair back and quickly text her, " Okay, " and to "stay safe."

I went to open the door, but it was locked. Quickly checking under the mat, there wasn't a key. "Shit! Shit! Shit!"

The freezing air was beginning to nip at my bones, my body shivering. I quickly went and checked the back door, which was locked too. I kick the door in anger and go back to the front.

I gazed at my phone, contemplating texting Abuela, but I didn't want to burden her. Detesting the idea, especially after what happened yesterday, I go to the Creeds' house.

My heart banged in my chest with every step as I got closer to the door. Before I know it, I'm on the porch, and then I'm knocking. I wait in the rainy silence and briefly hear a dog barking.

"Quiet Bee!" A voice sounded from inside.

The door slammed open too soon, and a rugged-looking Creed stood before me, his body taking up the space in the doorway. He peered at me in confusion, giving me a once over.

"Do you need something?" He grunts.

I shuffle on my feet, hugging myself to save some body heat. "I'm locked out of my house."