| 𝟎.𝟔

_

_

"Perfections are found in imperfections."

_

I smile at the young woman. "You and your baby girl are healthier than ever. Let me wipe you off real quick, and you'll be good to go."

Trixie is a regular patient and was given to me as my first official patient. Her previous technician that she saw regularly moved away. She's a pretty girl, with slanted mono lids and straight black hair that framed her oval face. She wore red glasses and a black maternity dress that covered her eight-month belly.

She recently experienced a fall and had some bruising around her upper abdomen and chest and wanted to make sure the baby was okay. I wipe off the gel and finish logging her info into the computer. "Alright, you're all set! Please call immediately if you experience further pain or suddenly have abnormal bleeding or bruising."

Trixie nods politely, and I help her off the chair, handing her a note for the medication. "Any questions?" I ask gently.

"When can I start looking at adoption options?" She seemed eager.

I pause and resist the need to crack my knuckles. "Well-I mean, you can start looking whenever you wish. I would maybe start with your family—"

A knock sounded through the room, and an aggravated voice said, "what's taking so long? I got places to be."

I furrow my brows and look between the door and the girl. "Is that your boyfriend?"

She nodded and began to look slightly pale, rubbing her belly as if to soothe herself. Her eyes blink repeatedly. While looking at her, I say, "just a minute!"

I carefully plant my hand on her shoulder, and she jolts in surprise, looking at me in shock. "Are you okay?" I whisper.

She nods, and just then, the door opens wide to reveal her boyfriend. He was tall and very scruffy, his eyes were extremely red, and his stench of weed immediately swarmed the room.

"Excuse me! You can't just come in here without permission," I yell.

Trixie peered frantically between us and grabbed my hand. "It's fine," she turns to her boyfriend, who was glaring at me, "we were finishing up. Let's go."

She looked at me one last time before dropping my hand, her boyfriend leading her out. I lean against the door and watch as they leave. What the hell was he so mad about? He looked around her age and seemed obnoxiously protective of her.

"Happens every time."

I look beside me and see a coworker of mine, Tanya. "He just burst in like that every time?"

She nods. "Always acts like he's busy and wants to leave the hospital as soon as possible when she has appointments. It's like he has a phobia or something."