| 𝟑.𝟎

—"It's okay to disappear until you are you again

"It's okay to disappear until you are you again."

I couldn't stop thinking about her. Watching her figure fade into the distance after I dropped her and her family off was maddening. I wanted to drive back, march through the woods, and into the house to declare my feelings. These feelings were fighting me tooth and nail, clawing at my throat. It felt like acid. The acid of truth, a burning reality of how I'll end up ruining her more than I have now.

"Ozzie, have him ready for me when I get there," I grit into the phone.

"Already on it."

I have two phones, one for business matters and the other is personal with Jamie as my only contact. Tossing the burner phone to the passenger, I could only what his excuse will be now. His deranged daughter might have a few tricks up her sleeves but I have the whole town under mine. Sutton failed his task and now I have to handle the situation in ways I shouldn't need to—he'll watch while I reap what he sowed.

Pulling up to the warehouse, I reach over to the glove compartment and pull out a file. Grazing over it, a chuckle puffs from my throat in disgust. Turns out the apple doesn't fall from the tree.

An image of Sutton and my mother sitting closer than should be in a house made my lungs compress. A tiny young Abby sat next to a slightly older boy. They were all smiling, except for me. "Fucking hell," I mutter before throwing the file into the passenger and punching the steering wheel. "FUCK!"

I don't remember any of it—not one fucking micro detail of that year. Painful migraines that I had yet to recover from flared up again after my hospital stay. What was this? I curse repeatedly, rocking back and forth while my knuckles became white as I grip the steering wheel. All these Sutton fuckers have done is take and take from me. First my memories, my parents, and now they're trying to take my Jamie. I wouldn't let them, and if they tried they wouldn't even realize they've been put to rest in hell.

Slamming the warehouse door shut, I sneer at the sight before me. Abby, her father, and her uncle all lined up just for me in chains on the floor. Ozzie stood off to the side, nodding at me in acknowledgment. "The mayor was aggressive so I had to inject him a little bit."

I crouch at eye level with the fucker and smirk, wiping out my gun. "Even better. Well, I have never been more satisfied to see the life drain from someone's eyes. The Sutton bloodline—is all in my hands. Tell me, mayor, why is it that you thought you could try to assassinate me? I mean, A for effort. A semi-truck? Bravo for that because I honestly would've never thought of you as the kind to go for the kill."

"I had no choice!" He stutters, "I overheard some of the police department were going to start a rebellion at the festival and drag your name through the dirt. I saw it as an opportunity and took it."

Hair cast over my eyes. "Like how you took my parents from me.....my memories?! ALL BECAUSE MY MOTHER WASN'T WILLING TO SUCK YOUR BROTHER'S COCK." My vocals rip in pure fury as I punch his gut.