Chapter 20

(Joong-ki's POV)

I'm losing my concentration. What's going on? My goodness, focus. I can't stop playing with my fingers. I glance to my side. Empty. The seat by me next to the window is empty. I've gotten used to her glancing at me mouthing, "I don't get it" with a confused look. I've gotten used to stopping her from banging her head on the table even if it was just lightly. I've gotten used to glancing to my side.

Miss Hwang's words seem to be floating around aimlessly and I can't fathom them into an informative sentence that makes sense. I don't get what she's talking about.

I don't know she'd be absent today. I thought I still have today. At least, school hours.

Nobody seems to acknowledge her absence. Miss Hwang announced her absence earlier today because she's moving back to London. I knew that already. She announced but nobody seemed to care. Cassie never has made many friends here, anyway.

The sound of the bell ringing brings me back. I pack my stuff, put on my bag and leave immediately.

***

(Cassie's POV)

I've heard of a term before, skinny love. It's where you and someone love each other but you just don't admit it because you're afraid or shy. Despite of not admitting it, you still show it.

I wonder if he knows that term.

For a moment I wonder if that's what we are. Then again, maybe we're not. He likes me obviously but not in that kind of way. No, we're no skinny love. I doubt it.

I sit in silence at the backseat as Mr Lee drives us to the airport. We planned to leave at three but it turned out our flight is at 4.30 p.m so we left early. I check the time – 2.30 p.m.

He's still at school.

Stop it.

***

We check ourselves in at the counter and our luggage. My parents have gone into the boarding hall. "I'm going to take one last look around, okay? I'll go into the boarding hall myself," I tell them. I get myself a cup of iced latte from a cafe by a souvenir shop. I sit at the cafe for a while, staring at the main entrances.

I stare at the main entrances.

I go to the restroom for a brief moment and come out again and glance to the entrances.

I explore the perfume shop, testing each sample. And I gaze at the entrances.

3.15 p.m. I look at the branded bags they have at the store although I'm not even a little interested and I look at each entrance there is.

3.25 p.m. I stand rooted with one hand in my jacket and the other holding my new cup of iced latte that has melted ice cubes while observing every entrance. The doors slide open occasionally as people come and go.

But, not a sign of the one I hope to see.

My phone rings. It's my Dad. They must've wanted me to come in quickly. Decline. I think of switching it off but what if he calls?

"Come on..." I whisper. Please come...be here.

3.30 p.m.

Sometimes I think I'm such a fool to think he cares that much. We're no skinny love. That's ludicrous. This happens with Chung-ho and it's happening again. Except that it's a completely different situation.

I grit my teeth and my hand forms a fist in my jacket's pocket. I breathe heavily as I turn around towards the escalator. I plug in my earphone and play the music at a small volume. My eyes get watery. No, keep your shit together. You're not going to cry again!