Chapter 4

I sit there silently watching Joong-ki decorating the Tiramisu. The girls' manner towards me really bothers me. I feel unwanted here. Now I'm starting to regret agreeing to Dad's decision of moving here. My life was better in Canada. Even though I've got no best friends, at least I have friends that aren't cold with me. Here, it's completely different. Those girls and I are classmates but we don't seem to get along. It's just upsetting.

"Why are you so gloomy?" Joong-ki's voice disrupts my thoughts.

"It's nothing," I reply and smile bitterly at him. He pauses from dusting cocoa powder on the Tiramisu and looks at me.

"Come on, you're upset. Tell me why," he urges. I sigh. I don't want to make him feel like his classmates are some kind of bad people or whatever but it's hard not to tell when he's already urging me like this. I look down and start to play with my fingers. I notice him tilting his head to look at me.

"Well, I don't feel wanted here," I say. He doesn't respond. "It's like no one likes having me around. I don't blend in, you know." He reaches for a chair and sits in front of me. "I feel so unwanted! Your friends out there just now, they ignored me completely like I don't exist. They were like...cold with me," I pause. He's still not responding so I continue. "I know I look different from you guys and obviously I speak a different language. I'm trying my very best to just cope with you guys and fit in but they just...hate me." I lift my head to look at him. He just stares at me like he's been listening the whole time. I wait for his response.

"Cassie, you're new and you're still trying to fit in. And, who says nobody likes having you around? I love having you around!" he says. I smile instantly. "That's what I want to see. I want to see you smile all the time. Don't be sad. It takes time to fit in. About my friends, they aren't exactly friends of mine. They're just classmates and they don't hate you. They just need time as much as you do, okay?" he continues.

He leans closer and hugs me. It feels nice being hugged. It feels warm and full of care. I hug him back tightly. I've never had a friend who actually cares this much. I guess I might have found myself a good friend. I smile. He was listening the whole time. He speaks only when I've finished. I am so happy to have him around. Maybe this is how it felt like to have an actual friend.

"No worries, okay? You have me. We can be the best of friends," he says as he releases the hug. Best of friends? That's kind of like best friends, right? To be honest, I never have thought that a boy and a girl could be best friends.

"Best friends, huh? You're a boy," I say. What did I say?! Damn, he must feel offended by that.

"Just because I'm a boy, doesn't mean we can't be best friends. You don't like being friends with me?" Joong-ki does this childish sulking look. He looks so cute when he does that.

"Aw, I like being friends with you," I say. I reach for a small box containing cocoa powder. "But...if you want to be friends with me, you have got to stop doing that childish look and cope with my craziness!" I continue and throw a handful of cocoa powder into his face.

"What the hell?!" He reaches out for a handful of flour behind him tosses it in my direction.

"Oh my God...I thought you wanted me to stop!" I shout. I grab a whipping cream can and shake it.

"No, no, no...not the face or the hair," he says. He covers his face with his hands but leaves his hair exposed. Here's my chance! I spray the whipping cream on top of his head.

"Eyy...no..." He starts to make this fake weeping sound that makes me laugh. Before I realise it, he smashes an egg on my head. I yelp in surprise. Maybe I shouted a little too loud. Our boss knocks the door to the bakery and says something in Korean. Joong-ki covers my mouth before I start to laugh again – my face gets hot but I hope it's not obvious. He replies our boss and I can hear his footsteps walking away.