Chapter 2

"Excuse me, do you know..." before I can finish, the girls look at me apologetically. I know... They don't really understand English. They bow and say something in Korean and walk away politely. Well, at least I know these people are polite. I've asked the Principle but her directions were confusing. Students are starting to leave for their classes. The hallway and staircases are nearly deserted.

I have to find my class! Then I saw three boys get out of a room which I guess is the boys' lavatory. What are they doing here? Aren't they supposed to be in class by now? Damn, what's wrong with me? I should be thankful. Maybe they can help me find my way around the school.

I run towards them hoping that they will be able to get me to my class. "Excuse me! Excuse me!" I say from afar and I even wave my right hand. I seem to get their attention because they turn around. "Thank you for stopping..." I am out of breath from chasing these guys. "Well, I'm new here and can any of you guys show me where this class is?" I show them my timetable and point to the name of my class which is written also in Korean! How pathetic I am in this school...

The boys are quite tall. They look at me and then exchange glances with each other. They start to murmur to each other – in Korean for sure – and I don't know what they're talking about. Okay, this is awkward. Do they even understand what I just said? I clear my throat and start asking again, "Excuse me, I just want you to give me directions to this class."

One of them is about to open his mouth but then he turns back to his friends and they talk again. I'm starting to lose it. "Guys, are you going to help me or not?!" I yelp.

"Um...we are very sorry. Our English is not very...um...good," one of them says. Finally, you speak to me!

"It's okay. Just bring me here." This time, I talk slower and manage a smile on my face. They 'signal' me to walk ahead of them. Well, that's weird. Aren't they supposed to guide me? Things start to feel awkward. Are these guys trying to trick me? I flinch when someone touches my hair. I look behind. Who else could it be if not them?

"Guys, I'm sorry but this is not a time to joke around with me. I'm late for class on my first day. Please show me to my class." I don't know why but I'm starting to talk faster. I talk fast when I'm nervous. These three boys start to grin and then look at each other. I shake off the wary feelings and continue walking. One of them put his arm around my shoulder. I don't like strangers holding me! I cringe and get away from him which results in me leaning against the wall.

It's pretty deserted here. All three of them circle me and this is so uncomfortable. "Guys, come on. I have to get to my class! If you don't want to help me, then fine. I'll find it myself," I say and try to sneak out of their circle but one of them gets hold of my left arm. "Ouch..." I drop the papers and file I was holding.

And here I am again, leaning against the wall. I really feel like calling my Dad right now. The boy who got hold of me earlier stands right in front of me. The bigger problem is he's standing too close. I close my eyes shut hoping they'll just walk away and leave me alone. I can feel my hands sweating. This happens a lot when I'm scared.

"Yah!!" I hear a male voice shouts. I open my eyes instantly only to find another boy, probably the same age as I am standing like a few metres away from us. He runs towards the scene and has this talk with the boys who were about to harass me. I have no idea what they're talking about but I know it's serious. I freeze and watch them talk. It starts off well until the guy who stood in front of me earlier raises his voice and before I know it, the guy who kind of saved my life gets a punch on his jaw.

"Oh my God, stop it!" I shout. The three cocky boys walk away and glare at both of us. I give him a dirty look. Oh yes! The boy! I look at the unknown boy who sort of saved me. I have to be honest he's pretty cute except for the bruise on his left jaw. "Gosh, that's pretty bad. I am so sorry that you got punched just because of me," I apologise.