Chapter 17

• Věnováno Dear readers, ILYSM! Thank you. *90 degree bow*

I sit resting my chin in my palm. Studies don't matter now that I'm leaving in a few days. I'm never going to see these people anymore. I'm never going to see this place anymore. I let out a sigh. Dad said this is the last time. It's never the last time. It's only been over three months and we're moving back to London. This isn't fair. This was supposed to be the last. This is supposed to be our home.

We stand up as the teacher exits the classroom. Finally, school's over for today. I sit down again. This time, with my forehead resting on the table. And then I bang on it lightly.

A hand slips in between my forehead and the table. I look up. "Mueos?" I ask and then smile.

"Yah! Don't get cocky. That's the only word that you know," Joong-ki says.

"Ani," I reply with an accent. He smiles as he hands me my bag out of nowhere and help me packs my books.

"Gaja! Ppaleuge..." he says dragging me behind him on the wrist.

"That's 'let's go' and 'hurry'. Okay, okay... Gaja," I reply and laugh it off.

"Ani, ani... You say, 'Ne, ppaleu gaja!'" he says. "Hurry, say it."

"Ne, ppaleu gaja." I flash him a smile.

"You're getting it." He smirks.

***

"Here, I found a perfect dictionary for you. It's simple, small and you can learn new words easily. It's a beginner's guide, anyway," Joong-ki says. I look at him in the eyes as he speaks.

Oh my God, I don't need this, Joong-ki ah. I'm moving back to London soon. How do I tell this soul that I'm leaving? Is he going to be upset? Maybe he won't be. Maybe he actually doesn't care so much about me. Either way, I need to tell him about this.

He picks up the book and is about to head for the cashier when I stop him. "I don't need it, okay?" I say.

"Okay so, you want me to teach you just like that? That'd be fine too."

"You don't understand. I'm moving back to London, soon," I tell him. I bite my lower lip hard. He stays silent. "I'm not going to be here for so long. I'm leaving soon."

"Oh."

"Don't just 'oh'. Say something! I'm leaving soon and I don't even know when. I'm so sad." I quickly search for 'please' in Korean in the dictionary. "Hasibsio!" I found it. I look up at him. "Hasibsio...hasibsio."

He smiles a little but it's not the same smile that I loved. "It's okay. You need to go with your parents, you know? It's okay," he finally says. He pats my head and tucks my hair behind my ear. "Gaja. Let's get out of here."

It's probably in between. He cares but not so much.

***

We stand rooted in front of the theme park's entrance. He takes my hand and we go to the counter. We get our bands and go inside together.

"Wae?" A new word I learned meaning 'why'. He drags me around with him by my hand.

"Today could be your last day here. I'll make sure you'll remember today," he replies and smiles at me. "Plus, our trip here was spoiled because of the rain yesterday, right?" I stare at him. "Let's go!" he says and we head for the roller coaster.

After a long queue, we finally get ourselves a spot next to each other on the roller coaster. We get strapped on our seats. My heart is beating so fast right now that my lips become dry. I lick them and bite my inner cheek. Joong-ki looks at me. "Nervous?" he asks.

"A little. It's been a long time since I last rode a thrill ride," I admit. I bite my lower lip hard. Mental note: Don't bite anything while we're on the ride. That's dangerous. I don't want to lose anything yet.

I take a deep breath and exhale. "Give me your right hand," he says.

"What?" I am kind of lost for a moment.

"Right hand." He put his left hand in front of me as the a few workers check on the rest of the passengers. I put up my right hand and he interlocks his in mine. I stare at him long. And then, the ride begins accelerating slowly.

I breathe heavily and my grip becomes harder on him. I look over to him.

He's staring at me. But, he looks away almost immediately.

The ride pauses. I'm going to die, I think.

And, off we go.

***

(Joong-ki's POV)

The moment we are unbuckled from our seats, Cassie goes "Yay! We're alive!" and she hugs me. It takes me by surprised but I hug her back and laugh it off.

"Yup, we're alive," I say with a laugh.

She laughs non-stop after we get off the ride because she says she feels foolish for being so nervous when it was fun like crazy. "Where are we going next? We have three more hours to kill," she says as she glances to her watch. "Oh oh...let's go to the Haunted House! Is it scary enough?" she asks me.

"Yea, it is. My sister screamed the whole time," I answer. I look at her. I look at her as she gets excited because of a theme park.

"Great! Let's go there!" she pauses. She looks at me and then smiles. "Gaja!" she says. "Ppaleu gaja!" she insists and then laughs it off. Her accent is quite funny. "Then, we go on every single thrill rides there is except for the roller coaster because we rode it just now. I'm dying to ride that one!" she exclaims as she points to the ride where it escalates upwards slowly and then falls all of a sudden. It kind of goes all bouncy and it's very high. I don't remember the name, though.

I answer her in Korean. She stares at me quizzically but smiles anyway. She understands in some way.

She's moving back to London soon and I can't do anything to hold her back. If today is her last day, well at least it's well-spent. I want her to have a lovely memory of this place, of me.

I just realise our fingers are still interlocked.