Chapter 9

I'm on my way to the cinema with Chung-ho walking next to me. Still in our school uniform, we make our way to the cinema after some pizza.

"What movie are we going to watch?" I ask, looking up to him.

"I don't know. I thought of letting you pick." Chung-ho glances at me, smiles and put his arm over my shoulders.

This is one of the things I love the most about him. I admit we started off on the wrong foot but my gosh, he's amazing. He's the gentleman after my father and the most favourite person after my parents. He treats me beyond a princess. He always lets me pick things but at times, I let him choose. He deserves it. He's been spending less time with his friends though and I feel guilty for it. But his friends are really supportive, I suppose. They treat me nice and totally respect us as a couple. I can't help but feel—

My phone vibrates in my blazer. Must be Mom. I pick it up instantly. "Hello?"

"Cassie, where the hell are you?! Customers are coming in like crazy and the cafe is short of baristas. Where've you been?" Joong-ki's voice rings in my right ear.

"My God! You don't have to shout, like seriously? I'll be right there," I reply harshly and hang up. Telling him I'm out on a date is so dangerous unless I want to get yelled at even worse.

"Who was it?" Chung-ho asks curiously.

I move his arm away from me gently and say, "I am really sorry but I've got to go. Joong-ki... I mean the cafe. They need help and I totally forgot that I have to work today. Sorry..."

Chung-ho stares at me. Then, his lips form a line. "It's okay. There's always next time. I don't want you to lose your first job," he says and smiles warmly. I tiptoe and give him a peck on the cheek and quicken my pace to the cafe which is like two blocks away!

Out of the blue, a bike blocks my path that I nearly fall on my knees. "What the heck?!" I look at the rider who wears a school uniform. "Chung-ho? What now? I really have to go..." I plead.

"Hop on. I'll send you to work," he says. I look at him unblinking wondering where he got the bike from. Anyways, I hop on behind him and he takes off in the speed of lightning! Okay, that's too much but he is swift. Plus, the walkway isn't so occupied with pedestrians.

Chung-ho drops me off right in front of the cafe, gives a quick peck on my forehead – which nearly knocks me out unconscious due to the 'sparks' – and I join the baristas in the cafe. Joong-ki is serving the customers real quick with a full tray in his hand. I don't even know what's going on. Out of every day this cafe could've been full of people, it has to be today. I squeeze myself through the occupied chairs and busy waiters to get to the counter. My shoulder brushes with Joong-ki's arm and we lock eyes for a second.

He looks away, just like that. I can feel he's mad at me but this is no time to talk things through. I have work to do. "Da-ran, I'll take over. You take the customers' orders, okay?" I tell one of the baristas. I can only make the drinks. I can't take orders since I don't understand much Korean.

My hands and mind work faster than ever as the orders come in rapidly. I notice the customers mostly wear school uniform but not from our school. They seem younger too. Middle scholars probably. There are two or three teachers too who talk to them or so I think. I'm not so sure. I keep on fulfilling the customers' orders non-stop. This is going to be one hell of a day.

***

"Where were they from?" I ask Joong-ki after the students have left.

"I don't know. I didn't ask," he replies without looking at me. He wipes the empty tables and arranges the chairs.