Pet Shop

When we arrived at the house, we unpacked everything and got our beds sorted so we could sleep and sort the rest out in the morning. Archie came and slept on my bed. I now have a double bed so we can both fit. Noah sorted everything out, like the essentials before we had moved in.

I have a double bed, a walk in wardrobe and my own bathroom. The first thing I did with the bathroom was hide my first aid kit under the sink.

*Jay's Pov*

"Hey, sarge. Kelly just called and asked if we could head down to Buckley Street." I said.

"South Side?" Asked Kevin.

"Yeah. There was a fire and some of the other residents are saying it may have been a crack house."

"Yeah sure. Let's go."

We got in our cars and drove down to the scene. Some woman was stood holding onto her husband as tears streamed down her face.

"Is this a murder?" Asked Antonio as he pointed to the woman.

"Not sure." I said as we walked over to Kelly.

"Sorry to call you guys out so late."

"It's not a problem." Said Hank.

"We asked the neighbours about who lived in the house and all they keep saying was they knew the dad as John Doe. On the property it also says John Doe. The guy had a daughter who they all called Jane Doe."

"Great. So we either have a neighbourhood who didn't care about the people who lived there or that was the name they gave out." Suggested Adam.

I saw this girl who was stood in the shadows, trying to call someone as she shook from the cold. I walked over to her and she backed away.

"Hey, it's okay." I said as I stopped where I was and called Kim over.

"Hey, kid. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Was there any deaths?" She asked.

"No, they say the people who lived there left before it went up in flames. Do you know who lived there?"

"No." She said as she walked away.

Hank walked over and blocked the girl's path as she stepped out into the light.

"Move." She said.

"Answer my detectives question."

"I get that you're old but I thought you would at least be able to hear." She said as she walked around him.

"Friendly." Said Kim.

We searched the house but found nothing so we went to go back to the district before it hit me.

"I know her!" I shouted.

"Who?" Asked Hank.

"The girl. The one that was rude." Said Kim, realising the same thing.

"She's Bella. Um... Katerina's friend. You know, the one who stopped the girl from throwing a rock at someone's head." I said.

"Oh yeah. Maybe this is Kat's house." Suggested Kevin.

"Let's call it a night. We'll look more into it tomorrow."

We went to get in our cars before a woman walked up to us. None of us had seen her stood outside before so we stopped to talk to her.

"Are you okay?" Asked Hank, towards the woman.

"I don't know much about the people who lived there but I can tell you that we all turned a blind eye. There was screaming almost every night and sometimes the dad would throw the girl out. She would sit in an alleyway till morning and then return to her house." Said the woman.

"You guys heard all of this and none of you decided to tell the police." I said, slightly angrier than I should've been.

No. I should be angry. This girl could've been abused and they all ignored it. Wow. Some people really are fucked up.

"Jay." Warned Hank.

"No I'm sorry but what the hell!? Did that girl ever come to you or anyone else?"

"Yes. She did."

"And what did you do?"

"We turned her away."

"You people make me sick." I said.

"Jay!" Shouted Hank as he pulled me away from the woman.

"Don't leave the country." Said Adam.

"Go home guys. We'll talk in the morning."

*Kat's Pov*

The next day, I woke up to a million missed calls from Bella. I grabbed my phone and called her back as I walked downstairs to see my dad had left for work and that he had left a note for me.

He asked me to empty the boxes I had and to go to the pet shop to buy Archie some things. I planned to take him with me so he could choose his own toys and his own bed.

Oh my god. Are you okay?

I'm fine Bella.

Your house was on fire.

I know. My dad did it to leave no traces of us. We've moved house.

Are you in the same estate as me?

Yes. Thank god. I'll walk to yours if you want.

Why?

Because I need to buy stuff for Archie.

The dog?

No. The horse.

Haha. Hilarious. He let you have him?

Yeah as long as he isn't on the furniture or disturbs him.

Oh nice. See you in a bit.

I ended the call and got changed into some cargo bottoms and an oversized hoodie. My hair was already straight so I just grabbed a black hat to wear. Chicago winters are so cold. Like below zero. I need to buy Archie a coat too. Even though he is a big dog, he doesn't have thick fur.

I chucked on my trainers and then left the house with Archie walking by my side. His old collar was all tatty and had the wrong phone number on it so I needed to get him a new one.

I walked to Bella's house and she was already stood outside waiting.

"Morning." I smiled as Archie ran off to say hello.

"Morning. So, what is the house like?"

"It's lovely. I have my own bathroom now so I can hide the first aid kit."

"Oh yes. That's what I need to buy. Some more supplies."

"Okay. There is a medical store next to the pet shop so we will go there afterwards."

"Sounds good."

When we got there, Bella pointed at some ginger guy with a dog. I laughed because she was saying how fit he was but I told her he was probably like double our age.

"Don't be such a perv." I laughed.

"What? He's attractive." She laughed as we walked inside.