Chapter 20 - Following my Paws

Chapter 20 – Following my Paws

I run as fast as my four legs can carry me, my fur blowing in the wind as I jump over ditches, fallen trees and streams. I needed to release the remainder of the pent up anger before I can return to helping Hidden Claws. I couldn't allow my emotions to get the better of me while here. My paws carry me to a familiar path, wading through a stream that quickly becomes a river leading to a familiar waterfall that I have not visited in years. With ease I slip behind the vines and continue down the tunnel until the secret valley where Lizaria and the unicorns used to live. My safe haven away from Hidden Claws. Trotting to the familiar willow tree, I curl into a ball underneath and open the link that can reach through time and space thanks to my mother.
[Liz.] I call out, a whimper to my voice.
[Yes Little Wolf?] Her voice calms me and I give a small smile, happy to know the Elf can hear me.
[The pack, its Hidden Claws.] I answer. I then retell the events of meeting the Alpha, of how my kidnappers tried to deny their wrong doings. How I let my anger and emotions control me and how I wanted to give in and kill Jasmine. I had to get everything off my chest, including confronting Mika and there is one of two people I can trust to just listen.
[Little Wolf, I know you resent Ariven right now for tricking you to agreeing.]
[Of course I do-]
[BUT this is what you need Geminie. Ariven may have tricked you and that was wrong but going there and confronting the past will help you become a better Moon Goddess.] Lizaria continues, not allowing me to protest her statement as we both know the Elf has a point. Confronting the three wolves felt amazing, like a weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that Bastian and Jasmine will receive their punishment and that Mika learns just how badly he fucked up.
[So what do I do now?] I ask, watching the rippling of the pink water in the breeze.
[You do what you agreed to do and then come back home Little Wolf.] Liz answers and I smile, wishing to hug my surrogate mother. I ask if there is anything she wants from the hidden valley when I leave and she gives me a list of herbs to find. After that I say good bye and disconnect the link as I enjoy the silence of the valley, the wild flowers still in full bloom. All that is missing are the unicorns running around. With the moon high in the sky illuminating the lonely valley, I lay my head on my paws and decide to sleep here for the night, away from everyone as I just needed some time in a place I feel safe.

...

A pecking on my forehead has me waking up with a start, a flock of birds taking flight in fright. Taking a deep breath I look around and remember falling asleep in the valley last night after an emotional meeting.
[Geminie are you okay?] Ariven's voice calls out through the link as I take one last look at the valley and turn towards the exit.
[Fine. I just needed some time alone.] I reply with, feeling relief through the link from Ariven. Guilt swells inside me at worrying my pack and leaving them to clean up the mess of a meeting last night. Hopefully the twins had taken the Blakes away as ordered to wait for my father's men.
[Alex called. I broke the news about his parents and all he had to say is good riddance.] I walk along the stream towards the vines as Ariven fills me in on what I missed last night. Saying that Lace had to drag Mika away to their pack house as she feared I would kill my ex if I saw him in my lodgings. Her fear isn't wrong though as I did think briefly about using my power on him when I was on the verge of killing Jasmine. He then goes on to explain the meeting being post pone till today at noon, a luncheon buffet will be prepared in the pack house. Lace has already prepared the reports on training as well as the financial records of the pack. One thing is for sure is if this pack still treats Omegas as in the past their treatment will be the first thing to change.
[So where did you go?] After the briefing of that happened last night after I left to what is expected of today, Ariven asks the one question I know he has been itching to ask. Our friendship over the last two years has grown to something more romantic and I know he worries about my well being especially after losing control of myself.
[I went to the only place I felt safe.] I answer honestly, retracing the steps through the forest and heading towards the direction of the guest house.
[The valley?]
[Yes.] Our link is cut after that, Ariven understanding the need to be alone and process everything after reminding me the meeting will be in four hours. I walk slowly through the calm quiet forest of the morning spotting wolves from Hidden Claws on patrol and following behind to watch how the few I have seen do their job. Sadly the wolves miss many spots that would be blind spots to the pack, spots that can be used by Soulless for an attack on this pack. I make a mental note of the general area of each blind spot and watch the lazy wolves who during mid patrol decide to hunt down a deer and take a quick lunch break, leaving half the carcass to rot. This deer could have been used to feed the pack but these two wolves were greedy.
[Ariven?] I call out as I continue to follow these Hidden Claws wolves, always staying down wind but close enough that these wolves should have spotted me.
[Yes.]
[Ask Mika who is on patrol on the North-West side of the pack.] I command, the link going silent for a few moments as I continue to follow the wolves.
[Mika says Sebastian and Samule Bright. Why?] Ariven returns three minutes later and I from. Sebastian and Samule where horrible wolves, their parents best friends with the Blakes. Because of this closeness, the twins became my main bullies, always causing a scene or sabotaging my chores in order to get me punished. I now understand why these wolves are lazy doing their job.
[Add Mika to our Link.] I order, feeling a presence in my mind soon pop in like a connection rushing in. I want to fight this instinct telling me no to trust this new connection but with a few deep breaths I accept the link and the connection merges smoothly into my mind.
[Mika here.] His voice flows into my mind and I shiver, not liking Mika in my space more than usual. Pushing personal feelings aside I share memories of what the Bright twins have been doing, feeling anger and annoyance from both men inside the link as Ariven and Mika let out a growl in frustration each.
[Damnit! How could these two be so incompetent?!] Mika questions and I chuckle.
[Considering their Alpha was someone's bitch for years, makes sense to me.] I retort without thinking, hearing Ariven chuckle. I have a feeling this is not what Mika wants to hear as I feel his annoyance directed to me. I shrug it off, ignoring my ex-mate and decide to trot back to the guest house.
[You need to learn which wolves are with you as Alpha and which are with the Blakes. I have a powder that can help that a local witch to my pack makes. We use it on rogues we question when joining our pack to get their honesty.] I continue, hearing a sigh from Mika as my response.
[I can get some portioned out and bring it to the meeting.] Ariven volunteers and I thank my friend. With this issue brought to light I remind the two I will be at the meeting and that Mika is to have a list of all wolves, their pack rank and the list of jobs each wolf does. This pack needs restructuring after nearly fourteen years of the Blakes influence. After Mika agrees, I push him out of the link and sigh, my mind becoming peaceful once more with him gone from it.
[Can we talk?] Ariven ask and I growl.
[Later. I am still mad at you.] I answer, shutting off the link and focusing on returning to the guest house so I can prepare for this meeting now that I know what to expect.

] I answer, shutting off the link and focusing on returning to the guest house so I can prepare for this meeting now that I know what to expect