Chapter 21 - Restructuring

I sigh as Mika and Lace continue to argue over the pack finances, Lace wondering why six-thousand dollars were spent on alcohol monthly as Mika tries to deflect the conversation to a different direction. I have a hunch on why the money was spent that way, one that caused me immense pain every time Mika decided to throw a she-wolf into bed with him. But I will let Lace figure it out on her own.
"Mika, please tell me you did not spend six-thousand on she wolves?" Lace asks, rubbing the bridge of her nose.
"It was Bastian's idea. He said I needed a mate and would throw lavish parties for me to meet she-wolves!" Mika finally shouts out and I roll my eyes. Of course it would be that bastard's idea. Knowing what happens to a she-wolf when her mate screws around with another she-wolf is something every werewolf learns in sex-ed.
"No wonder Geminie hates you! I hate you!" Lace shouts, the room going silent as I look at a fuming Lace who glares at her brother. If looks could kill, Mika would be dead.
"What do you mean?" Mika asks quietly, hurt evident on his face as he stare sin disbelief.
"I was one of the few wolves that never harmed Geminie after being disowned. I watched you and your friends hurt her, watched as you beat her. She wasn't the reason our parents were killed, the Blakes were." Lace continues, eyes full of tears as she clenches her fists. I can feel the power of an Alpha radiate off of her, something I have yet to feel from Mika and surprise fills me. Maybe Mika isn't fit to be an Alpha but Lace is.
"You allowed them to make our pack weak, even after becoming Alpha. You stopped allowing Omegas to train and so I had to secretly train them in order to keep up their basic combat skills. I had to run the pack, something an Alpha should do, as you and Bastian went out to party every month. I had to organize patrols and hunting parties so that we didn't starve. YOU DID NOTHING MIKA!!!" She is screaming by the time she ends her rant and on instinct, I rush to Lace's side and pull her into a hug, the blonde she-wolf bursting into tears.
"You ruined our pack, a pack our parents worked hard on. You're not fit to be an Alpha." She whimpers out and I sigh. Lace is right, Mika is not fit to be an Alpha is the paperwork is any indication. Every last sheet except the finances has her signature on it, some even with her own hand writing as I notice rescheduling on some. Even the list of Omegas she kept separate for the secret training was brought and scrutinized.
"I am the oldest, that's why I am Alpha!" Mika exclaims and I frown, glaring at the wolf across the table from Lace and I.
"Oldest doesn't necessarily means best fit." I point out, seeing a look of defeat on his face. I sigh, motioning for us to take a break and without hesitation Mika rushes out of the room as Lace collapses into her chair. Ariven smiles as he hands the two of us a bottle of water before exiting the room as well.
[I'll follow Mika and leave you ladies to talk.] He links me and I thank him, taking the chair beside Lace as we sit in awkward silence.
" I never blamed you Gem." Lace cuts the silence and I turn to look at the deflated she-wolf that plays with the lid of her water.
"I knew that the death of my parents were caused by someone in the pack doing a bad deed. I even looked into the situation and had a witch help me bring my memories up. They were from your father's pack weren't they." She continues and I sigh, running a hand through my hair as I stare out the window.
"Yeah they were. So technically it is my fault the Alpha and Luna were killed."
"But you were kidnapped and believed you were a Blake." Lace cuts in, taking my hand and staring at me. I give a small smile as tears fill my eyes. Its been years since she and I had a conversation and the emotions welling inside me has a bitter sweet taste.
"I know that now. But had I not been kidnapped; Alpha and Luna would still be here." I rebut.
"It's the Blakes fault. After they took over, the pack changed. Omegas were treated as less than in their rule. Favoured wolves rarely trained while those who were not close to the pair were trained mercilessly. I watched as pack members left one by one and the power decline. When you rejected my brother it got worse. I wanted to leave with you and Alex but I couldn't let my family's pack break." My heart breaks as Lace explains the things she had to do short of selling her body to keep this pack together, how she had to make money through creating herbal medicines and cosmetics that soon became the business "Lacey Face" with how popular the products became. I listened as the she-wolf I once considered a sister release her pent up worries and resentment one by one, some times chiming in with my own memories of an event or handing her a tissue when she cries. By the time our talk came to an end an hour has passed.
"You should be Alpha Lace." I state, feeling the love for her pack radiating off of Lace in waves with her Alpha power slowly growing. I have a feeling that Jasmine tried to suppress her in order to make Mika their puppet but this she-wolf persevered and come out stronger instead.
"I don't know if I can do it though." Lace voices and I smile, pulling her in for a hug as our bond slowly rebuilds itself.
"You can. You've done it for years already and just need a little more training." A voice cuts in before I can say anything causing Lace and I to turn to the doorway where Mika and Ariven stand. Mika walks towards us, coming to stand before his sister as he lets out a deep sigh.
"You held this pack together while Bastian and I nearly destroyed it. You made a business through high school and instead of going to college, grew that business to support the pack needs. You are a better Alpha than I am." Mika admits, shocking both Lace and I. the room is left in silence as I watch Lace's eyes glaze over then Mika's, the two having a conversation through their link- a conversation I wished to be apart of.
[You think he will give up being Alpha?] Ariven asks and I smile, turning to look at him as he saunters over to me to play with my hair. I swat his hand away, still upset with Ariven for tricking me as he lets out a sigh and takes a seat opposite me. I am not ready to deal with Ariven as I still feel betrayed.
[Yes. He will do what's right for his pack. But Lace would make him her Beta.] I answer. We wait patiently for the siblings to talk until Mika lets out a sigh and walks to his seat.
"We will announce to the pack that I am stepping down for Lace to become Alpha. Then we can start training the wolves the right way." Mika exclaims and I smile at him, the first friendly smile I have given my ex in years.
"You're doing the right thing Mika." I state before we continue the meeting, Lace's Alpha power radiating off of her as a new found confidence shines in her eyes. Hidden Claws will grow again and maybe an alliance with this pack will be beneficial for my own.
...

"When will you announce stepping down as Alpha?" I ask Mika as the four of us end our meeting. With the plan for Lace to become Alpha in a week there is a lot to do with Hidden Claws Starting with mass training today in three hours.
"To night during the welcome banquet for your pack. It's only fair." Mika answers sighing as he runs a hand through his hair.
"I had no idea the amount of damaged caused between the Blakes and I to this pack. They all deserve better." I hum in agreement, my own torment in the pack coming to mind at how horrible this pack became during the reign of the Blakes and with the way the twins from Hidden Claws behaved on their patrol this pack needs a large restructuring.
"Both of you will be at training correct?" I ask as I stand from my chair and stretch, catching Mika staring a little to long at me.
"Of course Gemmy, and thank you for coming to help. Your wolves agreed to patrol for us right?" Lace answers, giving me a bright smile that I return with my own.
"Yes they did." I answer then take my leave with Ariven hot on my heels intending to use the next three hours to prepare for the training session and prep the four wolves for their patrol.

" I answer then take my leave with Ariven hot on my heels intending to use the next three hours to prepare for the training session and prep the four wolves for their patrol